US$377
US$313
US$276
Doubletree.com
  • Pool
Gateway Hotel Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$297
US$219
Travelodge by Wyndham Santa Monica(Santa Monica)(Great Value!)
US$204
US$220
US$199
ComfortInn
Ocean View Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$339
  • Beachfront
Viceroy Santa Monica(Santa Monica)
US$544
US$456
  • Pool
The Georgian Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$403
Shore Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$454
US$439
  • Beachfront
All reviewsfull kitchenliving roomheated poolstreet promenadepink tilewhole foodsapartment complexmelrose placegarbage truckstwo blockslarge bedroomlaundry facilitiesseen better daysan older hotelgreat poollocation is fantasticshort walk to the beach
Reviewed 6 June 2017

I had a suite with a pool view. I should mention that these suites are very close to the pool. As in, an arm's length away. People in the pool can see into your room (if you don't have the blinds closed) and you can see into the pool. I would describe the set-up as 'cosy'.

The suite was clean. I had a kitchenette. Everything was fine but I personally got a bit squeamish because I didn't want to eat out of a used pan or bowl with used cutlery. I should have thought of that beforehand. That's not an issue with the hotel. It's my personal issue. The only thing that was dirty was the sink - it had yellow stains inside. If you rubbed a towel against it, the towel would be dirty.

The bed was nice, they had extra blankets in the wardrobe and a heater if you needed that. 2 TVs (indulgent!). If you put the 'do not disturb' sign

The location was pretty good. You just walk straight down any street to the beach. It's closer to the pier. It's only a slight trek - around a 10 minute walk - but in between, if you take the right route, you can view the shops. It is a also a short walk to the Downtown Santa Monica strain station where you can take the train to Hollywood - just buy a TAP Card from the machine, load it with cash and off you go. There is also a Whole Foods nearby. I would download the area on mapsme (as I did) and find your local stores if you want to go the self-catering route.

I would recommend it. Personally next time I would either get an apartment or a hotel because I didn't need to fork out money for self-catering in the end but if you consider that the cost is the same as for a hotel room, it's definitely worth it. They also fixed me a cab for the airport although I think the driver himself overcharged me. My only other issue is the wi-fi issue. It should be free. It's free in pretty much every other hotel. Even in hostels!

Room Tip: I would choose an upper level room for the privacy and to not be facing the pool directly.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Londonistania
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

What a great place ... Everything is huge - the closet - the bathroom - it was a tiny bit noisy but the spaciousness and the easy going atmosphere overcame it all - I was there only for 2 nights - the people were so kind and helpful ... Loved every minute there ....

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Suite with kitchen, dining room, and sitting area made our one bedroom so roomy and comfortable! Parking was close and easy. Location is half block from Third Street Promenade and just a few minute walk to Santa Monica Pier. We'd stay there again.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Thank Karen E. N
Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

We had a great stay. Some of the previous negative comments are a bit harsh.
Cleanliness couldn't be faulted, room was tidied every day, and bedding and towels were spotlessly clean. Maybe the furniture and fixtures have seen better days, but everything worked fine, and there is plenty of space for storage and stretching out. Beds very comfortable!
The kitchen came with everything you could possibly need, shame we were only here a few nights and didn't make full use of the facilities.
Pool area is small but perfectly adequate - though there might be fight for a sunny spot and sunbeds when full.
All the staff we met were friendly and courteous.
Ok, it's Santa Monica and I guess everything is pricey, but the additional parking charge is a bit steep. Also no free WiFi. Still giving 5 stars and hope to return one day.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank EalingBlue
Reviewed 24 April 2017 via mobile

My friend and I ended up staying at Cal Mar after a pre-arranged hotel booking fell through. There weren't many alternatives to choose from last minute so we chose Cal Mar based on its location to the Santa Monica shopping area, which was very close.

It is true to say that the hotel is very dated and tired however the staff did their upmost to keep the rooms clean and tidy. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful, storing our luggage for us for half a day once we had checked out and allowing us to enjoy a swim and towels before our flight.

In summary, it wouldn't be my choice for a luxury stay but it met most of our needs for our brief stay. Great location to the Santa Monica shops and beach and very friendly staff who looked after us.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends