2,681 results
All reviews fig restaurant fig tree ocean tower bungalow bar lobby lounge street promenade beautiful property concierge desk car service venice beach turn down service beverly hills valet staff los angeles ocean front valet parking exhale
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I have stayed here for 20 years (no, not every night) and I’ve never had a bad stay, or even one that was less than very good. Since we are talking 25 stays at least, I’d say that’s a well-run hotel. The highlights for me are: nice people with a fun and friendly demeanor. Good beds, good housekeeping. Top notch food. Nice pool and hot tub. Fair workout room and a first class men’s barber. Very good spa. I recommend the opposite side from the nightclub, which is quieter. Definitely not cheap, but you are getting something for the money. My teenagers love it, and so do I. It’s also easy to conduct business at the hotel.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian D
joshuaschaeffer, Director of Guest Services at Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Hello Brian D,

Thank you for years of continued loyalty. We absolutely appreciate that you continue to stay with us year in and year out. I just love to hear it when guests tell me it becomes a family affair and the kids end up wanting to stay with us too! We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 26 March 2018

This is the best spot to stay if you don't want to be in the crazy busy city of LA. It's not too far to get into the city from here, and you're right on the beach. There's a massive fig tree out front and the facilities are clean and high-end. I had a great stay here while visiting LA for the first time and the staff were very helpful. Nothing but good things to say about the Fairmont in Santa Monica!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Mozgolosky

Greetings Mozgolosky,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us this 5 star review! I completely agree that our hotel is the best place to be to get away from the busy city of Los Angeles. We can't wait to welcome you back again real soon!

Reviewed 22 March 2018

I was not aware I would pay $900.00 over the 6K for two nights in room taxes and assessment. This was never mentioned when booking the reservation. It was not worth the price. It rained the entire time and there were no amenities that compensated for it. In fact, the pool bartender and concierge on the premises at the time, not Josh Schaeffer (who was impeccable) were impolite and not willing to do their job. It was disappointing considering the reputation that precedes the hotel. It is one weekend, 7K, and a birthday I will never get back again.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with fairmont.com

Greetings AnthonyHanahan,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor Community. I was really sad reading this review as you and I had been in constant communication throughout your stay and you never mentioned any of this. While I appreciate the kind words about myself, I will definitely follow up with our other staff members you listed to ensure this does not happen again. As for the $900 over the $6,000 you paid - we unfortunately do not have any control over the tax rates. I will be contacting you directly to see what we can do to make this better for you.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

I was there for the 2018 LA Marathon and there is no better place to stay. The finish line is literally right next to it. If your room is on the north side of the hotel tower you actually have a brilliant view of the finish line.

Staff is cordial, friendly and the actual property which takes up what seems like a whole city block is a great escape from LA’s busy streets. The Fig restaurant is very good but extremely expensive and the Bungalow bar is a major hot spot. If you want to see and be seen this is your spot in Santa Monica.

Having been a loyal Fairmont member for almost 20 years I have minimal expectations for my stay. I don't care if the elevator is too slow, or if the doorman didn't open the door for me etc. but there is some minimal expectations for every traveler.

Rooms: I had a renovated deluxe room. It was average or should I say typical at best. Not a complaint but cant say the rooms are exceptional. The bath products from Le Labo however are fantastic.

Things that disappointed me were a little more than I would have liked:

-Fairmont Fit workout gear only arrived once during my three day stay.
-They asked me what newspaper I would like and I only received it once.
- I was there for the marathon and the hotel knew I was as I had booked through a marathon group. So why they chose to put me in a room on the second floor overlooking the Bungalow bar/night club was beyond belief. Music blaring and people yelling and screaming till 2am. Seriously?
-I called the front desk and they offered to change my room the next day. Fine, thank you and you would think it would be done seamlessly. I didn't get my new room till 3:00 in the afternoon. Ever be packed and ready to move in the morning and be "homeless" for the whole day while you have paid top dollar to stay at the hotel? Not cool.
- I asked the GM to call me while I was there and I have yet to hear from him or her.

While it wasn't a smooth stay and frustrating at times, I'm not against staying here again. Its the perfect spot for the marathon or if you want to be close to Venice (Abbot Kinney), Malibu or the other beach cities. Also, if you are going to a Lakers or Kings game, instead of spending $50 on an Uber - take the Metro from the Santa Monica station which drops you 5 mins away from Staples Centre - it only costs $2.25!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Greetings sandysumra,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with the TripAdvisor Community. I apologize for the mishaps that you experienced while staying with us. I am happy to provide your information to our General Manager if you would like to speak with him. Please contact me directly and I can assist with this. We hope to see you again really soon!

joshua.schaeffer@fairmont.com

Reviewed 21 March 2018

If you are in Santa Monica, as I was, I had to stop in, using the western entrance on Ocean Avenue. I had been to the pier and walking all day in the heat, I had to cool off—it was a very warm day, in the 90s. A brand new bellman handed me two bottles of water and I was thankful. I used to work in this hotel when it was a Sheraton—a long time ago. The renovation of the lobby and public areas several years ago has brought it up to a level of swank that belies none of the 1980s days of its pedestrian décor. The lobby is the ground level of the tower building (which was built in the late 1950s), and I’m afraid as each change is made, the history of it being developed by of one of the two founding fathers of Santa Monica is falling by the wayside. Every space was redesigned...the restaurant at the 2nd Street entrance, the leased offices (which once housed an American Airlines counter), two separate gift shops, the Stateroom Lounge (what happened to the b&w glossies of all the old-timey celebrities?), the fine dining restaurant, even the bathrooms...its all been redesigned. (The ground level services and shops were different even prior to my memories, so the only thing constant is change.) I sat for quite a while in the lobby area, cooling off. I scanned the height and width of the glossy breeze-blown lobby, watching people as they bustled to and fro. The lobby bar was doing a brisk business (I was too warm for alcohol or even soda) and the bell hops at the circle drive under the 128-year-old Moreton Bay Fig tree were, well, hopping busy. People were frolicking in the pool—I would have done so if I could have. It was a much different scene from my memories of back when—it was so surreal. It’s a special place, nevertheless. I purchased a couple of postcards at very small gift shop, they were vintage photos (not vintage postcards) and it surprised me the young clerk knew very little to nothing about any of the history, other than what showed in the photos. That was the start of a quick history lesson of the property and the old-time celebrities that frequented the (original) bungalows. Once someone learns more about a place, then you deepen your affinity for it--if it is a place like the Miramar. All the better to serve the guests…(Note...this is the place I will haunt when I'm gone! LoL)

Room Tip: If you get a room in Ocean Tower: South toward the pier, North toward Malibu
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo

Hello MeMeDaVinci,

Wow! What a great 5 star review! For anyone wanting to know a bit of history about our hotel, the above review is a perfect recap of some of our historic notes. We would love to see you again really soon so that you as well can be part of the history!