“Lunch and wine pairing ”
Review of Willi's Wine Bar - CLOSED

Willi's Wine Bar
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Mark West Springs
Description: A San Francisco Chronicle Bay Area Top 100 Restaurant for four years, Willi's Wine Bar's classic roadhouse appeal captures the casual, laid-back nature of Sonoma County Wine Country. Tourists and locals feel equally at home enjoying a quick bite or lingering over a glass of wine. The menu at Willi's features international small plates, some wildly inventive and others comfortingly familiar. Staff is eager to help create perfect pairings with wines from the extensive wine list, many by local producers. Most wines are available in twoounce tastes as well as by the glass or bottle..
Reviewed 31 October 2015 via mobile

What a delightful spot to spend the afternoon sampling wine flights with 'small plates' as well as several specialty cheeses. A fun way to try and identify new regional wines and vet their performance with food.

1  Thank Mark D

Reviewed 28 October 2015

Willi's Wine Bar is one of a group of restaurants owned by the Stark family of Sonoma County. There is another Willi's Wine Bar in Paris, France. The one is Paris is not owned by the Stark family. Although the Paris restaurant has no affiliation with the Santa Rosa restaurant, when you walk into the Santa Rosa restaurant, you will feel like you entered a Paris Bistro. Having been to Paris a few times, the décor and atmosphere feel like many of the Paris bistros at which I've eaten. The Starks even purchased posters from the Paris Willi's Wine Bar; so, you see these posters throughout the small restaurant.
On offer are a large variety of small plates that are meant to be enjoyed by two or more. The best way to take advantage of the delicious offerings is to order two or three small plates at first. After leisurely enjoying these shared small plates, order another two or three. You will soon be thoroughly sated. One of my favorites is the mac and cheese. I've also enjoyed their tomato bisque with pimento cheese sandwiches. The curried crab tacos with apple, cucumber, and mint were crisp and filled with a generous amount of crab.
My husband and I always get the Scallop Dumplings, Pea Shoots, Pancetta, Sherry Vinegar Butter. Also on our list of what we must order are: Filet Mignon Sliders, Creamed Spinach, Whole Grain Mustard Béarnaise, Moroccan Style Lamb Chops, Preserved Lemon Couscous, Toasted Almonds & Arugula and one of their wonderful desserts. Sometimes we opt not to order one of our favorites to try something new -- there is always something new to try.
The wines -- oh the wines. On offer are a variety of wines by the glass. One of the unique aspects of the wines offered at Willi's Wine Bar is their flight of wines. This is the perfect way to try wines from Sonoma and Napa counties, along with other regions around the world. You can order wines by the flight, which are centered around different regions. Even better, you can choose the size of the pour: 2-ounce, 4-ounce, or 6-ounce. This gives you the opportunity to try a variety of wines that match your food choices without getting inebriated.
I've enjoyed this restaurant with my husband, with a group of friends, and for a business dinner.
Go to Willi's Wine Bar as soon as you can.

1  Thank Kathryn H
Reviewed 27 October 2015

For starters, we shared the oysters. They were very fresh and flavorful. The charcuterie was also delicious. The filet slider had spinach and grain mustard bernaise sauce - it was tender and had a symphony of flavors for a gourmet burger. The salads were crisp and had a nice, delicate dressing. It is in a beautiful setting. We have dined outside and inside - both great. For desert, we had the chocolate flourless cake - one of the best we have ever had. It had peanut butter caramel, vanilla bean ice cream and sea salt peanuts. The truffle fries are a must. Jason was an excellent waiter and very knowledgeable about all the food and wine.

2  Thank Janscience
Reviewed 27 October 2015

I was afraid to come here to celebrate my granddaughter's birthday because I was so hungry, but this was her choice. Although I am small, I can eat a lot! No need to fear, I was able to leave feeling full and satisfied, and without breaking the bank.
Amongst the 5 of us, we were able to order several dishes to share, so we had quite a sampling. Stand-outs were curried crab tacos, the Ahi tuna tartare (fresh and flavorful), the lamb chops (tender and grilled to perfection) and the roasted bone marrow with red onion marmalade. Some of the dishes we ordered as double plates given that my spouse and I were with 3 hungry 20 year olds. The service was very attentive yet not intrusive. We dined outdoors in a garden area, on a cool evening, but were warm and cozy under the tall heat lamps. Next time we won't need the excuse of a birthday celebration to come here again. Fantastic!

1  Thank Dawnana
Reviewed 27 October 2015 via mobile

One of our favorite places to stop for a small bite to share or for a meal with wine pairings. You have to pay attention to the size of each menu item size as they may not satisfy your hunger. Use your waiter, not all plates are shareable.

1  Thank SandJRacine