“Comfortable and Dog Friendly”

Best Western Plus Wine Country Inn & Suites
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Santa Rosa
El Dorado Hills, California
“Comfortable and Dog Friendly”
Reviewed 3 January 2012

My wife and I and our Golden Retreiver stayed here New Year's Eve rather than a more expensive motel at Bodega Bay. The pleasant drive to the beach takes about 20 minutes. We were pleasantly surprised with the beautiful, well kept grounds and large rooms. Since we brought our dog, we had a pet friendly room, which was nice because it didn't smell like pets and flea free. We reserved the room through Hotel.com; however, the savings was less than $5. So the next time we stay here we'll call the motel directly to make reservations. With the AAA discount, the room rate was resonably priced at $85. They provide a large HD television with cable, free WiFi access and a small refrigerator and microwave oven. The onsite restaurant is open for breakfast, which was just OK. If you want a hearty breakfast, go elsewhere. There's also a laundry facility on site.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 29 December 2011

I just spent Christmas Eve at the Best Western Wine and Country Inn. I just want to say thank you for such a comfortable nights stay at such an amazing rate. My girlfriend and I travel allot and this was our first time staying at this hotel. I must say we were impressed by the cheerful staff even though they were working on the holidays. That as well as the beautiful rooms comfortable beds and balconies with walls high enough to provide privacy yet still a beautiful view. Finally there breakfast was probably one of the top I have had for a continental breakfast including my favorite biscuits and gravy. I do not work here I promise but I cannot speak highly enough for this wonderful stay. I cannot wait till I return to the wine valley and get a chance to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
East Windsor, NJ
Reviewed 12 December 2011

My wife and I spent a 3 day weekend in Sonoma wine country in early September. We stayed at the Best Western Plus Wine Country Inn & Suites (formerly the Holiday Inn Express) on Hopper Avenue in Santa Rosa. This has good access to nearby Route 101 without being directly on the highway. It is located north of downtown Santa Rosa making it a great location to explore the Russian River, Dry Creek and Alexander Valley wineries. The Best Western room was comfortable and what you would expect for a chain motel. It does offer a free breakfast off the lobby which included breads, cereal and hot eggs,bacon and waffles. There is an outdoor pool for the warmer weather. The property is surrounded by other development with parking in the rear and the front. I would recommend it if you are looking a mid range places to stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank bobcane50
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We booked the Travelzoo $79 package, which seemed to be a great deal. The breakfast was good and check-in was easy. However, I swear that the Travelzoo ad mentioned a jacuzzi spa and there wasn't one on the property. Also, the pool wasn't open the hours that the front desk person said it was. Sunday after an early breakfast, we went back to our room changes for a swim, only to find the pool still closed until 10am. Our balcony overlooked a garbage dumpster, not nice to look at or smell. Worst of all, our room smelled like smoke and when we called the front desk to request a switch, were told that we couldn't switch and so we had to open doors and windows on a cool November evening to try to air the room out .Can't say I would recommend this and I am not a picky traveler in general.

Room Tip: Make extra extra sure they book you into a non smoking room.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Deedumans
WineCountryHotel, Manager at Best Western Plus Wine Country Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
I would like to thank deedumans for their review of our hotel. The promotion we ran last month was an outstanding deal, and I'm pleased you were able to take advantage of it. There were a couple different options for that particular promotion, one featuring our two room jacuzzi suites, and one featuring our standard rooms. The promotion you chose was for the standard room. I am sorry that our heated pool was not unlocked, that was an oversight on our part, and I will bring this to the attention of our staff so this error is not repeated.
Thank you again, and I hope you come visit us in the future.
Monterey, California
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My wife and I picked this motel primarily because it was dog friendly, and we found we made a good choice.

The motel is near the freeway, but away from the noise. We had a 'suite" - two adjoining rooms, one that had a sofa bed, fridge,microwave and jacuzzi tub - which had been recently remodeled. Although the work was not excellent, we could tell that the rooms had been redone and painted. The rooms were clean, the bath towels good, as were the little soaps, lotions, etc. We were upstairs and had two balconies, one in each room.

There are several fast food places, an Applebees and a gas station across the street, and other amenities nearby. We found the breakfast room to be large and clean; along with the usual pastries etc. they also served eggs and bacon. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We do not expect full service hotel excellence at places like this, but we were perfectly happy and pleasantly surprised with our stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family