“Not Las Vegas, but still nice”

Santa Ysabel Casino
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stumbled upon this place driving back from a trip to the mountains. For those looking for a more intimate casino, this may be the place. The staff were very friendly and had a greeter at the door. Like any casino, the booze is a bit overpriced. There is a good variety of slot machines. The casino has a wine tasting machine that I have never seen before. You pre-purchase a card and local wine is dispensed at the proper temperature.

Worth a stop!

1  Thank Russell B

Reviewed 12 April 2013

When the Casino opened, the food was pretty great. They offered a prime rib for an Old Las Vegas deal one night a week, and we went often. More recently the restaurant has tried other cuisines including Mexican, which have not been quite as great.
The bar is fun, with an array of microbrews. It is situated in the middle of the poker machine action, with a dance floor that rarely is used. We happened to be there once when a band played, but the staff assured us that that was not a regular thing.
We don't have much luck in Casinos, so we didn't expect to win big.
We hope this place makes the changes it needs to make to stay afloat and thrive. It is a fun location for us, with a great view of the valley and mountains from the dining area.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Casino Santa Ysabel was an unexpected stop on our way back from Julian, CA. We thought we could check out the Casino and get a bite to eat. This Casino is a very small one, but very clean and modern. This Casino has a beautiful view of Lake Henshaw. We signed up for the player cards before playing the slots. By signing up, we received a free dinner what they call surf and turf. The dinner was pretty good except the steak was a bit tough for me but the waiter was very happy to get me another one that wasn’t cook too much. The service was excellent! I tried the Black and Blue Cider and loved it! We played the slots & took home $75. So, free dinner and walk away with $75.00 not too shabby!!!

1  Thank Darcy S
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We have a second home in Borrego Springs and like to stop here to play occasionally our our way home.

The cafe food very good and they have specials all the time. Great prices.

The only reason we didn't give it a better rating is alot of the slots seem dated and not a huge variety. We understand it's called gambling, but we have not had great luck the last few trips. I'm sure that will turn around soon.

Can't say enough about the staff, they are very patient as a great deal of there patronsl are retirees and are not always the most pleasant or patient group.

We haven't been for several months but will give it a try again soon.

1  Thank Auctionone
Reviewed 30 October 2012

I'd driven past the road that leads up to the casino severals times. On this day, I decided to drop by. The first thing I noticed was that the parking lot was 90% empty. I could tell by the layout that there was a great view overlooking the east, so I walked to the far side of the parking lot and saw a beautiful view of the valley below. I pulled out my camera and was about to snap a photo when some off-duty yahoo whistled at me like I was a dog. I looked over and he was pointing over to the parking lot from where I came. Apparently you're not allowed to enjoy the view. I proceeded to ignore him and took my photo anyway. Afterword, I decided to go inside the casino to grab a bite to eat at The Orchard. I ordered the Carne Asada plate. While there was a lot of meat on the plate, most of it was unchewable. You know those pieces of stringy tendons you sometimes get in steak? That's what it was mostly.

First vist. Last visit.