All reviewssan diegofront desk personnelnice propertymanteomicrowave
Reviewed 26 October 2017

I've lived in this neighborhood for 25+ years. The "Club" was our go-to Wednesday night for many of those years, but awhile back the quality and selection had us going elsewhere. Last night my wife and I gave it another try. Much to our delight we had a wonderful meal served by a wonderful waitress, Kristen. (or Kirsten?) They've brought back the Wednesday prime rib special. It was plentiful, tender and cooked to my exact preference. My wife had the french dip sandwich and it was perfect. With so much competition in Santee coupled with the fact that so many don't even know the Carlton Oaks Grill could be missed. It shouldn't be. It's a great experience perched on the edge of a beautiful golf course. BTW, the prime rib was 18.95 for a complete meal! That deal can't be beat!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2017

My mom lives near Carlton Oaks Country Club, so staying there is (for me) a no-brainer. The rooms are fine (apart from a lack of microwave ovens), the setting is beautiful, but the big distinction is that the staff are uniformly friendly, helpful, and competent. Maybe this shouldn't be rare, but it is noteworthy. The restaurant is of the highest quality, for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. And, recently, we had a celebration of life catered pool-side for about 50 people. It would be impossible to overstate how completely pleased I was: from "catering" to our allergy needs, to prompt and friendly service, to being flexible about the timings of courses etc. Absolutely stunning.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2017

There were two young women at the check-in desk. One a new hire, was delightful and tried to be helpful but the other woman did not want her to answer our questions regarding the location of "suite." We told her we didn't need a suite - she didn't care, but gave us the keys to 306 and - in no uncertain terms - told us they did not provide maps and our room was "near where we drove in." Carrying suitcases we asked someone in a cart outside and they told us they were the "little housed" on the hill. We got there. Not houses, but four duplex buildings. Large rooms, in need of tender loving care but clean looking. We got ready to go to an Anniversary party and left. When we got back just before mid-night we heard a terrible electronic roar from the kitchen. Unplugged the refrigerator. No luck - it was coming from a locked cabinet above the refrigerator. The office was closed; called security and a wonderful young man came and was not able to open the cabinet and said he had never heard of this before. After trying for quite a while to open the cabinet he went to the office and found that room 302 was still available and helped move us there. We had a great night sleep and blessed Wes many times over. No one in the office the next morning seemed the least bit concerned. We will find someplace else to stay.

Room Tip: If offered rooms in the 300 series ask to see it first.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2017

Understand formal official check in time was 3:00. Were early at hotel for 3 different times, i.e. 10:30, 12:00 and 2:30 with 3 different receptionists. The first two receptionists were nice, polite and helpful. They requested to check back as room was not ready. However at the third time when the room was ready, the third receptionist insisted check in only was at 3:00. She was rude and had no consideration for seniors traveling all the way from bay area to San Diego as explained to her. Have never come across a hotel not allowing check in for one half hour early when there is the room available!!

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel. Room is very dark when curtain is pulled, not enough lamps in room. WiFi and cell phone reception were poor.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 April 2017

On February 12th, I made a “confirmed” reservation for April 1st, checking out on April 3rd. The confirmed reservation stated $256.50 and when I arrived, it was increased to $300.50! I protested and it took the front desk employee about 20 minutes later to get it to back to the original confirmation.
Next, the original confirmation (printed copy) we paid more for “two double beds – golf view.” We ended up on lower ground floor staring at a dirt bank! When I asked for a reduction for the broken promise of a “golf view” room, the employee said “they are all the same price.”
On Saturday, April 1st and again on Monday, April 3rd, I asked for the Manager to be told he was not available or off. I have a feeling that I was being put-off by the front desk personnel.
Finally, in the room, only one packet of regular coffee producing only one cup was available all three days.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bob K
William H, Manager at Carlton Oaks, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Good morning Bob,

I'll take a look in to this for you and make the necessary adjustments and refunds for you. I'm sorry for the confusion regarding your reservation, and if there's anything further I can assist you with, feel free to contact me at any time!

Will H