“Good Amphitheater, Average Sound System, Small Stage, Very Tough Traffic”

The Mountain Winery
Ranked #1 of 8 Food & Drink in Saratoga
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Went to my first concert at this venue for the Il Divo performance. Getting there wasn't too difficult but you must literally drive a narrow road up to the top of the mountain to get to this winery. The tough part is after the concert as this winding narrow road must accommodate all the departing vehicles so you must either be very patient or depart early before everyone else. The amphitheater setting is very picturesque however the sound system is set up for audiences sitting in the sections facing directly at the center part of the stage so if you were sitting facing the sides of the stage, you will not get the good acoustical sound. This is quite apparent when you look at the positioning of their biggest speakers which are directed towards the center part of the audience only with only a small speaker directed toward each side of the stage. The stage itself is very small and would have problems accommodating an actively dancing performer unless band members are minimized. With a larger band/orchestra that Il Divo used, there were barely enough room for them to turn during their performance. So yes, the setting of this venue at a winery on top of a mountain is very nice if you could accept the other conditions mentioned. Additionally, this venue do not allow backpacks and alcoholic beverages so leave them in your car as it is a long walk back to the car. Parking is $20 and must be cash only. Also bring a jacket as the night mountain temperature could be 10 degrees lower than the bottom of the hill...

3  Thank chanyu1
All reviews
"concert venue"
in 27 reviews
"beautiful venue"
in 9 reviews
"wine tasting"
in 21 reviews
"great place to see a concert"
"winding road"
"dinner package"
"captive audience"
"sight lines"

Reviewed 14 September 2017

What a beautiful evening. We grabbed a bite at the to go restaurant and then really enjoyed the concert. Mountain Winery is a beautiful location. We try to go every year.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The long and winding road takes you to majestic vistas overlooking Silicon Valley and brings you to what is surely one of most beautiful concert venues in America. Wonderful place to catch a show while enjoy a unique ambiance. The $20 parking fee for concerts is excessive and about the only option, but you won't soon forget the view and experience.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

Attended a concert here (actually) several over the years. It is easy getting there, parking $20, beer $13, water $4....food expensive for what you get but easy.

We just love the seating and view good unless someone stands but that happens at shows.

Leaving the venue is challenging and takes a while. If you hang around until the crowd leaves, it's no problem.

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

If you are considering getting married at Mountain Winery, my husband and I would not recommend it. Even though the view from the venue is beautiful, the management staff with the exception of our coordinator April were unfriendly and difficult to work with.

My husband and I got married in Mountain Winery on May 2017. After 9 months and many emails planning our wedding since we booked the venue in April 2016, there was a change in management at Mountain Winery. No efforts were made between outgoing or incoming management to communicate our wedding plans, so I had to repeat all of my previous emails and re-coordinate dozens of details. There was a completely new food menu that I was not aware of until I emailed the venue a couple months before the wedding to confirm our meal orders before ordering invitations with the selected meal options. Because there was a new food menu, during an in-person meeting I repeatedly asked if there was a new beverage menu. They had printed a beverage menu that I had emailed them from the prior management, and brought it to the meeting stating it was their current beverage menu. When I asked again, they looked and there was in fact a new beverage menu with prices that were $10/person cheaper than the menu I had sent them. Since we had a 120 person wedding, I would have paid $1200 more than if they would have given me the new beverage menu from the beginning.

Our entire wedding was outdoors. The week before, it looked like it would get chilly at night to the 50s, so we asked if it would be possible to put up a tent on the Chateau Deck where the reception was. Mountain Winery said a tent was not feasible because, for one it cost $11,000, and secondly it has to be set up for two days, so the couple getting married the night before would have to agree to a tent as well. Our ceremony was on the Vista Deck, which does not have a rain plan. At all. I asked what would happen if it rained, and they said the wedding would just have to get rained on.

We got ready at the venue, which costs about $500 per room. They don't allow outside food, and there is a corkage fee. So my wedding party had to rely on a cheese plate the venue provided from 9am when we started getting ready until our 4pm wedding.

Lastly, several of our vendors communicated to us that they did not enjoy working at Mountain Winery because the staff were difficult to work with. The fact that professionals in the wedding industry who work at a lot of different venues also had the same feeling we did further validated our concerns.

1  Thank sandyjohng