“Great service ”
Review of The Fish Market

The Fish Market
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fish Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 80 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Located across from the Del Mar Fairgrounds and Race Track, our third restaurant has been a San Diego North County favorite since it opened in 1981. This bustling restaurant encourages friendly and convivial dining, with the help of a comfortable oyster bar and cozy cocktail bar and lounge, and front-and-center retail market, widely known by those seeking to take home the finest in fresh fish. We also offer a private room suitable for a large party gathering.
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

Ate here with some friends, as this was a place they liked in the past.
I enjoyed my shrimp with bacon, however the roasted vegetables while my favorite type, were too crunchy for my taste.
The service was great. Everyone was friendly.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 2 September 2018

This restaurant is one of a small chain in the San Diego area. It is way better than the reviews here would lead one to believe. I don't know why there are so many negative reviews. There is a lot of tourist traffic in SoCal; maybe folks on vacation are harder to please. I do know that there are so many excellent restaurants from San Diego through la Jolla to Del Mar; perhaps the expectations are higher.

I have lived in Del Mar for 18 months; and I have been to Fish Market dozens off times, for lunch and dinner. I have also been to many of the best French/continental restaurants in the country. The Fish Market is not fine dining, The service can be spotty, occasionally. But it may be the best overall fish restaurant in the area.

First and foremost, it is a market to purchase the widest selection of fresh fish in the area. Frequently, I will stop in to buy sashimi grade Ahi, fresh Ono, or Mahi to take home. I have never been disappointed in the quality or the price. I have purchased comparable fish in Maui for $5 -$7 more per pound. They are expert at cutting to order.

Secondly, The Fish Market is a fun place to stop in (after the SD Fair, the races, the beach) to hang out in the bar and slurp done a dozen oysters.

Lastly, it is a family restaurant. Usually cool. Sort of noisy, but conversation friendly. Great for families, fine for fish lovers; don't know about the burgers ( but aren't there enough burger joints already). When entering the restaurant one has to walk past the fish market. As expected the fish offerings can very depending upon on availability.You can glance at the day's offerings; so if you're a neophyte you get an idea of what the product will be. Frequently, I order the Ahi -- served raw, only seared. The texture and flavor is excellent. I have been to many places where the Ahi is tough and not the same grade. Often, I have ordered the crispy fish taco's prepared with Ono. The Ono is frozen; if not it may not be on the menu everyday. But the fact that it is always available is a plus, not a minus.

As an oenophile I can easily find fault with the rather basic wine list. Yet there are some very affordable, solid wines that pair well with the seafood.

Basics: Warm, fresh sour dough bread, attentive service. Super clean bathrooms.

For those travelers who are familiar with coastal seafood place The Fish Market compares nicely with The Fisherman's in San Clemente and Seattle.

Reviewed 27 August 2018 via mobile

Love this place. A little pricey but very fresh fish. They have a fish market inside. Good selection of fish. Clam choder and crab louie salad are my go tos, but the oysters, clams, halibut. Catfish and trout are all great! Everything is, but the coleaw isn't as good as KFC's, but then, whose is?

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

OMG, what a treat! We happened upon this lovely and lovely restaurant tonight with our kids. Prices are very fair and the food’s terrific. We enjoyed lboulliabaise for 2, sautéed green beans (yum!) and chowder. Our kids each had the grilled chicken teriyaki which was a nice healthy option as we have been on a road trip for 2 weeks. Bonus the kids each had ice cream! This is a lovely restaurant which has such nice energy and great food too!

Reviewed 22 August 2018

Loved the east coast traditional seaside feel of the inside of this west coast fish house. Our seafood was very fresh, and our family got to pick from a very wide offering. The atmosphere is lively and our service was good...waitress had been there for 6 years and was very professional with recommendations and delivering. Seafood is common in Solana Beach/Del Mar, but this restaurant is far from common in its quality. Thumbs up!