“GR8 Happy Hour Tacos & Drinks”
Review of Tidewater Tavern

Tidewater Tavern
Ranked #29 of 76 Restaurants in Solana Beach
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 5 August 2017

We arrive at 5:30 on a Thursday after attending the races with friends.
It was still happy hour (4-6 pm), so we were able to get discounted wine and $3.50 beer. They also had several nice happy hour food specials. We ordered one calamari taco and two grilled fish tacos. The serving were surprisingly large with a tasty cabbage blend under the fish, salsa & 2 nice size tacos on each plate. We all agreed it was a lot of food for the money.

There were several large groups with children there and it appeared to be a family friendly environment, although maybe not so much during a ball game on TV. They have remodeled it since the last time I was there and it has a lot of TVs all around the bar and seating areas, but they were not blaring so loudly that we couldn't easily talk.

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Right on Hwy 101 & easy to find, I chose this place based solely on its menu which seemed to offer something for everyone. I ordered the calamari sandwich & my companion decided on the BLT after carefully considering one of their burgers. He had fries but I ordered the potato chips which were made in the restaurant, were perfectly seasoned, & were perfectly cooked. YUM! We each had a glass of Sauvignon Blanc (my first taste of that wine - I'm a red wine fan) which was pleasing to us both. We thoroughly enjoyed every bite & sip of our lunches.

A little about the restaurant: it is right on Hwy 101 (west side) and the front (like a huge garage door) opens to the street so you get plenty of people watching and fresh air. Altogether just very SoCal, casual, & inviting.

My favorite thing: my friend & I were discussing our various experimentations with vegetarianism & veganism. We both failed miserably in these forays as you may surmise from our lunch choices. Apparently the owner overheard us and offered this bit of linguistic information as he passed by our table, and I quote: " 'Vegetarian' is Greek for poor hunter". I wish you could have seen his facial expression & body language as he seized this teachable moment. It was all priceless & perfect, we cracked up, & it sealed the deal for me: I'll be back to this place!

Reviewed 14 June 2017

Four of us long-time girfriends planned to get together, coming from Orange County and San Diego. Some of the group would be arriving by train right after noon. We wanted to have lunch at a spot convenient to the train station and to Solana Beach's fascinating design district. I was in charge of the restaurant suggestion and saw the Tidewater Tavern as being fine, It was a large enough place we would not have to wait for a table. I also figured it wouldn't be crowded or noisy in the middle of the day. We like to hear each when we catch up in conversation. Premier food was not our main objective.

Well, were we ever surprised! All four of us were delighted to have delicious lunches. Wow! The quinoa salads were tasty and bountiful, another salad had pieces of grilled chicken that were tender and flavorful, and the plate of two grilled fish tacos was just perfect for someone enjoying this SoCal beach favorite. The chef did a great job. Furthermore, the service was very friendly and definitely attentive. Our server was a guy who made us feel special.

When a restaurant meets our needs and exceeds expectations, it should get a top rating, So my friends would agree--I must give this place an EXCELLENT rating.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Great atmosphere when the rolling doors are opened up (most days). The best fish tacos around. Calamari is great, too. Nice draft beer selection. Friendly service.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

I was looking for a bar/restaurant to meet out of town friends to watch the Charger game. I thought of Tidewater and we ended up meeting there. I love the openness of the bar and there are plenty of TVs around the restaurant to watch the game from most angles. The service was great and the area is very spacious. I didn't feel like I was sitting on top of the table next to me. We were able to talk and watch the game without having to fight loud crowds. We ordered the chilaquiles which were good but not the best. The food is just ok but the atmosphere is nice and not too crazy. I would recommend this place if you are looking to kick back and have a few drinks and watch a game without having to shout over people to talk.