“Very Average”
Review of Root 246

Root 246
Reserve with OpenTable
Root 246 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 77 Restaurants in Solvang
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 31 December 2017

It had been some time since I visited Root 246 for dinner. It was my birthday and my daughter and I wanted something special. We found our experience very ordinary and that was disappointing.

1  Thank Pat R

Reviewed 7 December 2017

I had made a reservation for the evening after Thanksgiving. It was at a later time and the place was not too full. The service was decent and we did leave a handsome 20% tip but the food left a lot to be desired. The wild arugula in their Harvest salad had huge stems, watery salad dressing, and extremely pungent turnips. In fact, I feel that there were very stale and dry turnip green mixed with arugula. The cauliflower soup had a burnt taste as well. My son did not enjoy his kids' pizza either. The water glasses had a strange odor of being unwashed or sitting on a wet towel. When we asked them to replace, they prompt did but the new glasses had the same odor--just not as strong. I wish we had tried other restaurants in the town. Next time. 4/5 points for the service but getting the check took forever.

Reviewed 27 November 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Root 246 for Thanksgiving this year. Our server, Roberto, was very attentive and our 4 course meal proceeded along smoothly without us feeling rushed. We found the butternut squash soup to be mild but tasty, lettuce wedge was cold and crisp and the traditional turkey, stuffing and potato quite good. The portions we felt were also substantial. Our apple pie dessert, baked in a ramekin, was topped off with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Over all we were very satisfied with the food and service. The dining room we were in was a tad noisy - our only complaint- but not enough to ruin the experience. In fact, we enjoyed it enough to return to Root 246 the following night to try out the regular menu. This time our server was Janson and she was a hoot! So friendly and funny which made this visit another memorable one. The salad and steaks were cooked to perfection and very tender.
We plan to return in the near future.

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

The decision to treat five adult family members and guests to Thanksgiving dinner at Root 246 was regrettable. The pre fixed menu looked very good. However, the meal was a huge disappointment. The butternut squash soup was way too thick and lacked flavor. For the next course, three of us chose the parsnip salad. (We generally like parsnips.) With the exception of asking for bacon to be crispier or meat to be cooked a bit more, I have never sent food back to the kitchen. All three of us found the parsnip salad to be inedible. I mean really inedible. Something was off. The replacement salad with pears was okay. For the main course, one person chose the traditional turkey dinner, but the turkey was very dry. The filet mignons were over tenderized. The vegetarian option was a dry, undercooked squash that literally had not been seasoned. Salt and pepper did not help. The dessert choices were a pumpkin square that sort of resembled pumpkin pie and an apple pie offering served in a small ramekin with a scoop of ice cream. Neither was memorable, and no one finished. We are not a fussy group, and appreciate imaginative food. We also appreciate good service and tip generously which we did this time. However, the overall experience of spending Thanksgiving dinner at Root 246 was horrible. It was a very expensive mistake not to
be repeated.

1  Thank Jane A
Reviewed 9 November 2017

I’ll start off with stating the service was excellent! But that is were the compliments end. The food was a major disappointment. I never need to salt my food as I really don’t need a lot but the food was so bland, both of us needed to salt it a lot just to have some flavor. Not impressed!