“Anniversary Weekend”
Review of Inn On Summerhill

Inn On Summerhill
Ranked #1 of 2 Summerland B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 October 2017

I want to start of by saying Christopher at the Front desk was phenomenal. Up until last year I have been a front office manager for 2 different 5-star boutique properties and I have to say, the service My fiance and I received from Chris goes beyond Forbes 5 star, 5 diamond standards....

The Pros: The Suite we rented was spacious and beautiful with 2 fireplaces. The views of the ocean. The wine reception was charming. The breakfast in Bed was fantastic! we were able to enjoy a delicious breakfast out on one of our patios in our very cozy bathrobes. The hotel itself is very charming and romantic with a cape cod meets California kind of feel. Being a former Santa Barbara native, I have to say the hotel is perfectly located right of the 101, 5 minutes from Coast Village road and 15 minutes from State street. Chris was fantastic. So accommodating and pleasant, He even helped me with my reservation before I checked in.

Cons: The hotel is literally right of the 101 so you can hear traffic all the time. The room cleanliness was B-. Found hair and a large spider in my bathtub... The dark haired Front desk woman was not accommodating. I arrived at 1 pm to the hotel on my anniversary weekend and asked to check in after a 2 hour drive from LA and was told If we wanted to check in we'd have to pay a fee? I didn't mind that much as I was able to show my fiance around the area while we waited for it to be 3 pm, but the next day I came down in my bathrobe asked for an HOUR later check out when the hotel was EMPTY and the same girl explained that I would have to be charged.. Kind of a bummer on our anniversary weekend to have to wait to check in then be rushed out...

All in all, the stay was great, Chris is wonderful and the B & B itself is quite charming. Id recommend staying here if you are looking for a low-key, romantic weekend.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 September 2017

Went to Santa Barbara for a weekend getaway and this place came up on a hotel search. Room was very nice. Staff was friendly. Rooms have a/c, fireplace, and a ceiling fan. We had a small patio with on ocean view.
Four poster bed was comfortable.
Alarm clock/radio has charging ports off of it. There is also a "background noise" thing in the room that you can set to make ocean sounds etc.
Bathroom was fully stocked with everything from soap to a shaving kit and nail care kit. Had bathrobes and a Jacuzzi tub. Fresh flowers too.
Room was immaculate as well as the rest of the property. Dessert bar was cookies and lemon squares. Breakfast was cereals and yogurt, nothing hot really but plenty for what we wanted. There is a spa and Jacuzzi on site but we did not use them.
Overall, it was a great place to stay and we would definitely splurge and stay here again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2017

We visit Santa Barbara area every couple months to meet up with some friends. We can definitely say we will not be returning here. To begin with, there was a comment on our confirmation that was kind of offensive and inappropriate. It was "There will be no early check-ins and any late check outs will pay a fine of $35.00 per hour. We travel a lot and have stayed in many B&B's and high end hotels and have never seen this on a confirmation. Well, when we checked in the front desk displayed the same attitude and was offensive. She insisted that we sign a form stating our car, make (all normal procedure) and then wanted to know the license plate number. The balance
of the sign in form was extensive disclaimers (approx. 8) re: damage and our stay. We have never been asked to sign such an extensive form. Even though the night's rate had already been charged on my credit card they had me sign another charge slip. They then had me sign for the $100.00 incidentals that takes weeks to remove from pending. Too much! Second, the Inn is totally misrepresented online. The marketing/advertising people must have shot the lobby with a long/wide angle lens. It appeared 4 times the size online. We chose a KIng Room with Balcony facing the ocean. The room's presentation (black & tan) was so lovely online and that is the style we thought we were receiving. It turns out that's only one room and there are 4 o 5 in that $ category which was not stated online. Instead our room was decorated with a drab olive green and blonde wood YUCK! We were well aware that a frontage road and the 101 freeway are directly in front of the Inn but we thought we would enjoy an ocean view even thought it would be noisy. It sounded like the Indy 500. Between the loud traffic and the hot air coming out of the air conditioner on the balcony we gave up. No matter where we placed the ugly gold plastic chairs you got blasted by the hot air. There is a photo online showing a balcony with an Adirondack chair. Please - they were gold plastic! I noticed a neighboring room also tried to read on the balcony and gave up. The bathroom had no ventilation even with the door open and air conditioner on. Wine & snacks in the small dining area were only fair. The red wine tasted like it was poured from a $2.99 bottle. Breakfast was only fair. There was a tip jar in the dining room. Now really? At a B&B? When we went looking for a pen the nightstand also had an envelope marked housekeeping tip. Really? Also, slippery tub & shower, no rubber mat nor railing. Only one bar of soap which resembled something from a Motel 6, no bar soap in the shower. The small shag rug in the room appeared dirty. Torn & dirty outside door mats. Ice cube dispenser was dirty & rusty. The Inn needs much improvement in most areas to match the charm of the outside of the building.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Elaine W
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

Just spent a weekend at this Inn. Comfortable rooms, nice staff, and great location in walkable distance to the beach. Easy access to Santa Barbara and Carpenteria. San Ysidro Trail head is only 15 minutes away. Afternoon appetizers and wine reception is a nice touch. Red Kettle Coffee and Summerland Cafe are great options in walking distance from the hotel.

Hotel is right near the 101 so road noise is constant on the deck. Inside the rooms the road noise is hardly noticeable and air conditioner masks it. If you are looking for a more serene, quiet, tranquil setting this is not it, but easy access access to beach and other amenities outweigh it in mind. Only other issue is the wifi is way too slow, but if you want an excuse to be disconnected this is your place.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TZAlaska
Reviewed 8 June 2017

Discovered the Inn on Summerhill while exploring lodging options online. Elected to give this place a try based on the size, location, and price point. We were very happy with our choice.

We selected a king room, which was a nice, comfortable size. The bed was very comfortable, and for folks who enjoying cooler temperatures, the combination of opening the sliding glass door and A/C worked well. Neighboring rooms were quiet, and although we would occasionally pick up some road noise from the 101, it wasn't overwhelming.

Breakfast was acceptable, but not overwhelming. The staff was friendly and responsive. No issues parking during our stay. Loved the Jacuzzi . . . especially since it seemed we were the only folks using it each night.

I'm not sure when we'll be back in the area, but if/when we are, we'll definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Room 15 is centered with a good view and larger porch.