“No Friend or Family Here”

TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Sunnyvale
Inland Empire
“No Friend or Family Here”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

My sister works for the Marriott so she was able to get us a great rate for our Two night stay....We arrived after 2AM in the morning and the paper-work that was needed to get the rate had not been sent to the hotel prior to check-in....The receptionist said they will charge us a higher rate for the 1st night but when the paper-work arrives, they will adjust it to our proper rate.....The paper-work was faxed over early the next morning (5 hours after our arrival) and the GM (the card I picked up at the front desk said her name is Kim Johnson) would not give us the Friends and Family rate for the 1st night, only the 2nd night.....What a crock of horse dung.....AC In the room didn't work, the bed slide to the middle and the workers never cracked a smile (because in my opinion, they don't get treated by their employee's like FRIENDS AND FAMILY and the guests are the ones who must deal with the un-happy-ness.....We will Never Come Back.....and if you are a friend or family....STAY AWAY......FRIENDS AND FAMILY NOT ALLOWED HERE....

Room Tip: All business here...No Family's allowed
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Booked for a few nights in the TownPlace Suites by Marriott in Sunnyvale CA. My company recently moved to the area and I was looking for a reasonable location to lie my head. When my company travel site recommended the TownPlace at a fairly low price (for Bay Area), I was a bit nervous. Add to that the location (El Camino thru SNVL) and I was stressing.

But it's a Marriott and I trust the brand.

What a pleasant surprise! While not a 4* or anything close, the location is better than expected, tucked back away from El Camino, facing Bernardo. The rooms were VERY spacious and well appointed. The bed was outstanding and the room noise was relatively low, even with an older style AC unit in the wall.

There is even underground parking for those times when it's raining outside. Seemed that few of the guests knew this when I was there as most parked on the surface rather than park below and take a convenient elevator to their floor.

Efficient, if not overly friendly staff got me to my room in a hurry. Sparse breakfast in the morning (it's free and worth every penny), and a nice warm cookie in the evening make up the meals offered. There is a small store off the lobby that has a few things that can be warmed up in the small kitchen that my room had - microwave, full fridge, 2-burner top, coffee maker (regular size), utensils and plates/bowls/glasses. Very nice for longer stays which I anticipate in my future.

I give this place a B+ - perfect location for SNVL based companies like mine, decent location off El Camino, VERY good price compared to other hotels, and a nice new room.

Room Tip: Get a room facing AWAY from the street. Mine was VERY quiet and void of any street noise.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
San Jose
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2011

First, this is one of the cleaner Towneplace Suites I have stayed in. Staff was overall helpful. However, the cheaper per night cost of stay brings with it the type of clientele that is absolutely inconsiderate of those around them. Here let me give you just a few examples for my three night stay:

Night #1- Guest decided to park literally about a foot from the passenger's side of my car. (car's wheels were literally over the white divider line) I could NOT access my passenger door and had to climb through the driver's side. There was a Christmas party at one of the suites, and I figured it was one of the (drunk) guests, but it was actually someone staying here the whole weekend.

Night #1,2,3- Guests upstairs were stomping around. Now hotel etiquette has taught me than when staying upstairs, always ALWAYS thread lightly in consideration of the guests directly below. Unfortunately, I figure, the hotel guests above me didn't just NOT thread lightly, IT seeems they were redecorating the place.

Night #2,3- Someone decided to cook Indian food in the hotel room nearby, and as such we ALL got the strong smell of curry. Again, in a hotel with a kitchenette, I was always taught NEVER to cook any strong food because of the proximity of other rooms. BUT walking around thru the hall the last two nights was like walking around an Indian restaurant. For some, that would be a plus, but the strong smell of Indian food made my stay absolutely unpleasant.

I know that I'm coming across as a hotel snob. Trust me though, because i've stayed at so many different properties, I've learned to be considerate AND follow certain unwritten rules. When I've stayed at the higher end Marriott properties catering to business travelers, I've never seem to have a problem. Unfortunately, this Marriott property caters to the type of clientele THAT may not be as experienced in being considerate of their 'immediate surroundings' and as such made my own experience ONE that i'd like to Forget. My recommendation if you are looking for a Marriott property around the area, try the Residence Inn Mountain View about 3 Miles NOrth on El Camino. It will cost a bit extra, but it's more than worth it when considering the minuses of this Towneplace Suites.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank jzguru

Travellers are raving about these Sunnyvale hotels

Sacramento
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

I often travel to Mountain View and this place is great for short and/or long-term business travel. Convenient and close to freeway. Front desk always nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

This place is very convinient and reasonable if you are visiting Stanford. Hotels are very expensive in Palo Alto and if you don't mind a short drive along El Camino Real, this hotel is great. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros:
- Price
- Clean and decent room size
- Location (just off of 85)

Cons:
- Breakfast area and reception are exceptionally small
- Two rest rooms open right into the breakfast room and there is even a breakfast table infront of mens room door! I know they are trying to utilize space, however this is poor design and poor taste period.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sunnyvale
1.2 km away
0.3 km away
Crestview Hotel
Crestview Hotel
#12 of 18 in Mountain View

Been to TownePlace Suites Sunnyvale Mountain View? Share your experiences!