“Sushi at its Best”

Seto Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #85 of 381 Restaurants in Sunnyvale
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 13 November 2015

I am visiting this place since almost 25 years on a regular basis during my business trips to the area. I haven't been in the area for nearly six years. So I was really looking forward to revisit Seto with my family (wife and two 3.5 and 5.5 years old sons) and meet some of my old contacts. Unfortunately
all the customer facing staff members had changed. However, the new ones are as friendly and attentive as the old ones.The interior has been slightly updated but still a very simple modern straight forward Japanese design.
So we ordered a de luxe sushi plate as well as a large sashimi moriawase. The fish could not be fresher. It melted in our mouths. My 5 year old son got excited as his parents did (see his comments on "Sushi Confidential " in Campbell) Having had sushi in many different places around the globe I had to return to Seto after almost six years to be reminded what a perfect sushi and sashimi looks and tastes like.
The sevice was impeccable, fast and without flaw. The boys even got a bottle of Calpico each (a Japanese milk based soft drink) as a gift when we left.
If you really want outstanding Japanese cuisine, specifically sushi and sashimi you MUST visit this place. It is not cheap but worth every single cent!

1  Thank rudik2011

Reviewed 17 October 2015 via mobile

I went there a couple of times with my staff for lunch. They offer bento boxes with 2 and 3 items. I chose the tempura, sashimi and beef teriyaki! Everything was perfect! Great location with great quality food.

Reviewed 29 September 2015

We had not been to Seto for the past five years or so, but after our favorite sushi place in Sunnyvale closed end of last year, we had been testing quite a few sushi restaurants in Sunnyvale, and finally went back to Seto.

We found Seto be a little quieter (early on a Wednesday night) than what we were used to but otherwise little change. We sat at the bar, and the sushi chef and the rest of the staff were very attentive, friendly and quick.

Sushi itself was excellent and fresh, and the menu very much in tune with what we like (the more traditional approach to sushi). Overall a very pleasant experience to re-discover our former and new favorite sushi place in Sunnyvale.

Reviewed 25 August 2015 via mobile

Went with another couple last night. They were very familiar with this place . . . could advise us what's hot and what's not. I don't do sashimi. But the guys said it was outstanding. I had steak teriyaki. Steak was cooked perfectly. Sauce . . . Unremarkable. Never saw accompanying soup or salad. Veg tempura tasty, crisp, not greasy. Gyoza . . . weird and can't recommend. Pickled veggies OK but skimpy serving for $5. Wine list indicates Kendall Jackson Chardonnay and Merlot available by glass . . . $7.50 & $8.50 respectively. Alas . . . no such luck! Woodbridge Chardonnay and Beringer Merlot. Same price, however. All in all . . . spendy . . . Would I go back? Nope.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

Seto Restaurant is definitely one of those places where you would totally miss it if you didn't look close enough. But once you get inside, it is a COMPLETELY different environment. The overall setting of the restaurant is aimed to be authentically Japanese, from the typical sitting style on pillows and low tables to the waitresses in kimonos. We sat down and were immediately greeted by one of the waitresses right away. One of the good things I liked about this place from the get-go is that there is A LOT of choices to choose from, from ramen and soba, to sushi and combination plates. There's just so much you can't get your mind over what to choose from! A drawback though is the pricing can be a bit pricey for a Japanese restaurant, but perhaps all of their dishes are fancy? Let's see.

After choosing a couple rolls, udon, and chicken teriyaki, we were greeted with miso soup and a salad for starters. The miso soup was good and like any other miso soup but the salad was okay, but then again, these were just complimentary sides that came with our entrees.

We received our rolls and I must say that the rolls here were decent. The California roll was great like most other places but their spicy tuna roll was a bit on the fishy side and the Crazy roll was a bit plain in presentation for a fancy authentic restaurant. Taste-wise for the Cali-roll and the Crazy roll were good though.

The Niku udon was great with the slices of cooked beef cooked inside but it seemed like it was missing something. Maybe more on presentation? Tempura? It had udon noodles, cabbage, carrots, beef, and shitake mushrooms and that was about it. Tasted great don't get me wrong! But something was missing...

Then came the chicken teriyaki which I thought was great! Cooked to perfection and simmered in a teriyaki sauce, all of which is on a cast iron cooking pan and served with rice on the side. The flavor was not too salty nor bland, with the chicken cooked to just right.

In the end, we received a complimentary green tea ice cream which was delicious! It must have been fresh because the flavors were so vibrant and creamy, it just couldn't have been from the store bought freezers. Overall, I loved the overall setting of the place. Very authentic and home feeling, with VERY nice staff with excellent service. The choices of food offered is overwhelmingly good but can be a bit pricey. Quality of the food is okay in terms of presentation. Rolls were alright and seemed so plain compared to their other dishes but tastewise, good as any other sushi joint. Udon was a bit plain too but tasted great as well. Chicken Teriyaki was excellent and on point! My favorite dish for sure. Would I come back here again? Yes, I actually would for a more authentic experience BUT I will not order the rolls here. Would I recommend this place to others? Yes I will!