All reviews blue wing soaking tub lake county historic hotel live music clear lake granola main street right next door continental breakfast adjacent restaurant wine tasting front porch well appointed dining room napa and sonoma hidden gem take advantage
Reviewed 30 September 2018

Loved this hotel!. It has history and charm. We were not sure where we were going to stay and did a quick Google search of the area - the Tallman Hotel caught our eye and we are so glad that it did. The town of Upper Lake is small and, driving in, wondered if we had made the right decision - we certainly had! The Japanese soaking tub was a real treat, as was the live music in the adjacent saloon that night. Highly recommended!

Room tip: Get a room with a soaking tub
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Tallmanhotel, Guest Services at Tallman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2018

Thank you for your kind comments. The rooms with the soaking tubs (called "ofuros") are our most popular rooms. Guests love the tub and outdoor shower and private back deck. Our Blue Wing restaurant has live music on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday evenings, as well as the ever popular Sunday brunch. Little Upper Lake has some nice shops, and there are plenty of tasting rooms in the area as well as good hiking and biking trails. We hope you'll return again.

Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

My wife booked this fantastic hotel. Great staff, amazing restoration of 1890’s building and fascinating place. There was a jazz festival on when we stayed, which was excellent. Lovely pool and our room had a Japanese hot tub. Good bar next door as well. Highly recommended.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
blbLakeCounty_CA, Owner at Tallman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2018

Thanks so much for the kind review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and please come back.

Reviewed 26 August 2018

I could not wait to stay here, considering I was in the area for work pertaining to the horrific wildfire. I specifically requested a room on the second floor with a claw foot tub, and I was pleasantly provided with Room #4, which faces the street and has a little corner of the exterior upper veranda.

Oh the room was quite lovely! The lady who checked me in, lead me upstairs to show me the facilities, and the wonderful bathroom with the special multi-spray shower feature. She even referenced a prior reviewers comment about it being like a decontamination shower....and we laughed because I read the comment prior to booking. In actuality, the shower style was popular in the day to allow women to shower without wetting their very elaborate hair styles. But, the pinnacle bathroom experience was the tub. I brought bath salts and such to enjoy the experience. They do provide nice Molten Brown products, along with a little fresh flower in a glass vase in the bathroom.

The sleeping experience was absolutely enjoyable. The bedding, decor and overall room was perfect after a long day working.

I did take advantage of the Blue Wing restaurant right across the patio, and took a hamburger and blackberry pie slice to my room (better than staying...a bit noisy for me), enjoyed eating out on the veranda overlooking the street, at sunset with a nice glass of Rose wine that I bought from a local winery. Yes, the proprietors think of everything for your room, including wine glasses and opener.

I enjoyed the continental breakfast both mornings; one morning working at the table and the second in my room, bringing treats and coffee up twice. The kitchen lady was very pleasant and warm smile.

This property exudes warmth, love and safety. This is important, especially as a lady traveling for work. I felt very safe in this property, even though I found some of the areas around the lake community a bit shady. There was absolutely no shadiness here, and the staff was very in tune with this.

I was very sad to leave the Tallman Hotel, and waited to check out at the last minute. No one was prompting me to leave sooner, like how some hotels are knocking on your door early on the check out day.

I will try and find a way to travel back here with my husband. This is a great property, wonderfully decorated (not sure why previous reviewer said overly decorated....it's so lovely with all the bird themes!) and food next door at Blue Wing was good.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Tallmanhotel, Guest Services at Tallman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Thank you so much for your detailed review and positive comments. We're glad you appreciated the attention to details with the historical touches, amenities and your sleeping experience! A quiet dinner on the veranda at sunset is a lovely way to end a work day. We hope to see you and your husband back here in the coming months.

Reviewed 23 July 2018

This is a tasteful (some might say over-decorated) historic hotel that was completely renovated a few years ago. Attention has been paid to every detail, and the customer pays for it. We had a spacious ground-level suite right on Main Street. The breakfast (included) was absolutely delicious, with house-baked scones and muffins, house-baked granola.

Room tip: We enjoyed our ground-level Main Street suite.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Tallmanhotel, Guest Services at Tallman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

Thank you for your nice comments and we're glad you appreciated the attention to detail. Our guests all seem to really enjoy the house made scones and other items at the continental breakfast. We do our best to keep our pricing competitive with other lodging establishments in the area. The ground level suite you stayed in is one of our most popular rooms. The front porches are relaxing and inviting. We hope to see you again in the coming months. Enjoy the summer!

Reviewed 20 July 2018

We stayed one night at this hotel while in northern California. We flew home out of Sacramento the following day. The hotel has been completely redone and would be the only place to stay in Upper Lake. The town really doesn't have much to offer in terms of things to do but the hotel was great. We found a very neat and clean Mexican restaurant to eat at about a block away that I would recommend to anyone staying there.

Room tip: WE always choose an upper floor room.
Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. For a small town, Upper Lake Main Street is now starting to come alive. The past few months have seen a few very nice gift shops open and a couple of restaurants, including the Mexican restaurant you visited. The hotel offers live music on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday evenings as well as during Sunday brunch.We hope you'll visit us again in the coming months.