“Impulse food stop”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Llancarfan
Price range: US$16 - US$46
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Fox and Hounds is a gastropub with 8 ensuite rooms located in the idyllic and tranquil village of Llancarfan. We are within easy reach of Cardiff (15 mins), Cowbridge (10 mins), Barry (10 mins) and Cardiff Airport (10 mins). It overlooks St Cadoc's Church where restorers have recently uncovered medieval drawings. James Dobson, Head Chef, has created delicious menus that use all the local and seasonal produce available to him in the Vale. There is a sunny terrace for al-fresco dining or just enjoying a cup of coffee/glass of wine on the sofas! Alternatively we have a snug dining area as well as the restaurant. To make reservations please call/email us and we look forward to seeing you very soon.
Reviewed 16 November 2020

Waking up to horrible weather on Sunday, we thought it was probably best to have a movie day! After a greedy brunch at home we decided to walk off our food in the vale with our new puppy. We drove to the coast near Barry. Friends of ours had said to try the Fox and Hounds if we were ever in the area, so we popped in for a drink. 5 hours later, we left having had one of the best beef Sunday roasts and fish and chips ever! The beef was so tender and juicy and the fish was light and crispy. It came with both the tartare sauce and chip shop curry gravy! The staff were amazing and it was dog friendly. We met some lovely people and cannot wait to return! Genuinely made our weekend!

Date of visit: November 2020
Write a reviewReviews (162)

Reviewed 10 September 2020

First meal out in 5 months for me and my wife due to lockdown. I remember really enjoying this place on my first visit so was my first choice when choosing a venue for Sunday lunch. And it was wonderful, again. My fried chicken starter with bbq sauce - yum. And my roast beef dinner - amazing. The beef was a little rare for me (seems the norm these days) but that didn't detract from its quality. I tried my wife's roast pork and apple sauce too - delicious. These are difficult times, and I was impressed by the industriousness of the waiters and waitresses who were always polite and helpful. Can't wait to return!

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 9 September 2020 via mobile

Decided to book here with my wife and parents who were celebrating their wedding anniversary. It was my first time eating out in a pub since March. As soon as we arrived we were shown to our table, drinks and food orders were taken really quickly by our friendly waitress. Throughout the evening the food came quickly. It was all delicious - I loved the Lamb Kebabs and Couscous! Felt very safe and confident during our visit, will definitely be back! Thank you!

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 26 August 2020 via mobile

Found this place on booking.com and decided to stay here for two nights to visit Cardiff which isn’t too far away.

Checkin was easy, and the landlady was lovely. Our room was room 6, and it was perfect! Smelt amazing and was done out very nicely with everything we could need for our stay.

We had breakfast included in our stay and it was delicious!!

Overall we were very happy with our choice of stay. A little bit hidden away down some very narrow country lanes (were Londoners) so deffo not used to that!

But overall enjoyed our stay very much!

Date of visit: August 2020
2  Thank LauraLouWho6
Reviewed 6 March 2020

My husband and I stayed here for our first night of our honeymoon before heading further west. They very kindly upgraded our room. As someone with ceoliac disease I was excited to hear they they had some meals labeled gluten free on their menu; however, I think they need to do a bit more research on what someone who can't have gluten needs. They fry their 'gluten free' fish and chips in the same oil as their regular fried foods, which means there is cross contamination and the food is technically no longer gluten free. It was a bit disappointing since the fish and chips were labeled gluten free but they really weren't! Otherwise it was a nice stay.

Date of visit: October 2019