“Over priced and underwelming food”

The Fox and Hounds Inn
Reserve a table
Sat, 23/10
20:00
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Llancarfan
Price range: US$17 - US$48
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Fox and Hounds is a gastropub with 8 ensuite rooms located in the idyllic and tranquil village of Llancarfan. We are within easy reach of Cardiff (15 mins), Cowbridge (10 mins), Barry (10 mins) and Cardiff Airport (10 mins). It overlooks St Cadoc's Church where restorers have recently uncovered medieval drawings. James Dobson, Head Chef, has created delicious menus that use all the local and seasonal produce available to him in the Vale. There is a sunny terrace for al-fresco dining or just enjoying a cup of coffee/glass of wine on the sofas! Alternatively we have a snug dining area as well as the restaurant. To make reservations please call/email us and we look forward to seeing you very soon.
Reviewed 2 July 2021

My family and myself went to the Fox and Hounds for a meal. My husband ordered the steak which he was more than happy with. I ordered the lamb kebab, at £16 when it arrived I was left wondering if there were any additional sides plates of food waiting to arrive. To my disappointment there was not. So for £16 there was a lamb kebab consisting of 4 lumps of lamb which was accompanied by a small serving of cous cous and some grated courgette! Not only was it in my eyes a 1/3 of a portion but also served on a smaller plate than my daughters food. I feel this meal was missing something extra.
My daughters ordered ham, egg and chips which again was not a huge portion and at £6 I feel was on the expensive side. It consisted of 1 slice of ham cut in 2, 5 chips and 1 fried egg.
Wine was good, beer garden was nice but overall expensive for what it actually was.

Date of visit: July 2021
Write a reviewReviews (161)

Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

Booked 3 rooms online for 2 nights and also had dinner for on the 1st nights over May Bank Holiday weekend. Superb breakfast lovely, friendly staff set in a very picturesque village. Good covered outside space for eating and drinks. Very dog friendly. Great location for Cardiff and surrounding area. would highly recommend.

Reviewed 20 May 2021

Well organised (Covid) and friendly helpful staff. Three meals were enjoyed but crab linguine was a bit strange - what sort of crab was that?

Reviewed 2 May 2021

We hoped to visit this pub in after being shut for so long as we really like to support local businesses. Despite ringing ahead the day before and checking their facebook which explains no bookings needed for drinks, we headed to this local village pub after a walk. Nobody was waiting for a table in front of us.... but when the landlady asked how many, she then said there was no drinks table available and not to bother waiting for one as most of the people had only just arrived. It was really dissapointing and she was pretty abrupt. Wont bother again.

Reviewed 16 November 2020

Waking up to horrible weather on Sunday, we thought it was probably best to have a movie day! After a greedy brunch at home we decided to walk off our food in the vale with our new puppy. We drove to the coast near Barry. Friends of ours had said to try the Fox and Hounds if we were ever in the area, so we popped in for a drink. 5 hours later, we left having had one of the best beef Sunday roasts and fish and chips ever! The beef was so tender and juicy and the fish was light and crispy. It came with both the tartare sauce and chip shop curry gravy! The staff were amazing and it was dog friendly. We met some lovely people and cannot wait to return! Genuinely made our weekend!

Date of visit: November 2020