“So disappointing”

Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Llancarfan
Price range: US$17 - US$48
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Fox and Hounds is a gastropub with 8 ensuite rooms located in the idyllic and tranquil village of Llancarfan. We are within easy reach of Cardiff (15 mins), Cowbridge (10 mins), Barry (10 mins) and Cardiff Airport (10 mins). It overlooks St Cadoc's Church where restorers have recently uncovered medieval drawings. James Dobson, Head Chef, has created delicious menus that use all the local and seasonal produce available to him in the Vale. There is a sunny terrace for al-fresco dining or just enjoying a cup of coffee/glass of wine on the sofas! Alternatively we have a snug dining area as well as the restaurant. To make reservations please call/email us and we look forward to seeing you very soon.
Reviewed 4 July 2021

Have eaten here many times before lockdown and always very good. Went last night with friends for a birthday meal. Menu did not remotely resemble the sample menu on the website. It was a mix of lunch and pub grub dinner plates. Only two items that resembled starters. Ended up having very ordinary bread and olives. No specials on and at only 7.30 no sirloin or hake. Waitress was very apologetic and we felt sorry for her. We had very ordinary burger and fish and chips, ok but tiny cod main and some kind of chicken Caesar salad in thick white bread. Thank goodness we ordered extra chips - they were amazing. Service was also very good but based on that menu and food we won’t rush back sadly.

Date of visit: July 2021
Write a reviewReviews (161)

Reviewed 2 July 2021

Fantastic food. I could barely finish my burger and it was excellent quality and good value for money. I will have to go back soon and make sure I leave enough room for dessert because the mouthful of my brother's chocolate and lime tart was amazing. Staff efficient and friendly. It's not cheap. But then it is not normal "pub grub". It is far, far better.

Reviewed 2 July 2021

My family and myself went to the Fox and Hounds for a meal. My husband ordered the steak which he was more than happy with. I ordered the lamb kebab, at £16 when it arrived I was left wondering if there were any additional sides plates of food waiting to arrive. To my disappointment there was not. So for £16 there was a lamb kebab consisting of 4 lumps of lamb which was accompanied by a small serving of cous cous and some grated courgette! Not only was it in my eyes a 1/3 of a portion but also served on a smaller plate than my daughters food. I feel this meal was missing something extra.
My daughters ordered ham, egg and chips which again was not a huge portion and at £6 I feel was on the expensive side. It consisted of 1 slice of ham cut in 2, 5 chips and 1 fried egg.
Wine was good, beer garden was nice but overall expensive for what it actually was.

Reviewed 30 May 2021 via mobile

Booked 3 rooms online for 2 nights and also had dinner for on the 1st nights over May Bank Holiday weekend. Superb breakfast lovely, friendly staff set in a very picturesque village. Good covered outside space for eating and drinks. Very dog friendly. Great location for Cardiff and surrounding area. would highly recommend.

Date of visit: May 2021
Reviewed 20 May 2021

Well organised (Covid) and friendly helpful staff. Three meals were enjoyed but crab linguine was a bit strange - what sort of crab was that?

Date of visit: May 2021