“Great glide over Boulder”
Review of Mile High Gliding

Ranked #19 of 37 Tours in Boulder
Reviewed 7 January 2016

The views were awesome and it's pretty cheap for the shorter ride. The staff is friendly and fun. The plane is cramped and a little cold but it's really not that bad.

1  Thank oddball285
All reviews
"exhilarating experience"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this experience"
"bucket list"
"foothills"
"flatirons"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 31 August 2015

My fiance and I reside in Boulder and we have seen the gliders soaring above our heads for years, so I finally decided to purchase the "Mile High" trip for two as a surprise birthday present for him. To book the flight, I simply walked into the office one afternoon and spoke with the owner which seemed to be the most efficient method. As others have mentioned, you park next to an old Airstream trailer beside the tiny airport that serves as Mile High's office. Don't expect customer service...you have to go into this experience with flexibility, an open mind, and patience. Everyone is very friendly, but it's astonishingly unorganized from a logistical standpoint...for instance, there doesn't seem to be much of a schedule or timeline in place from management for the pilots; as they land from a previous flight, they are assigned their next one spur-of-the moment. In any case, once we were assigned a pilot 30 minutes after our originally scheduled flight time, the two of us got in the backseat of a glider that had seen better days...as in, it was old and shabby. Kind of hilarious actually. You have to be quite slender to sit two side-by-side in the back seat. I am 5'5" and 115 lbs, and my fiance is 5'9" and about 145, and it was tight for us, especially in the shoulder area, so the only way to stay comfortable was for me to put my arm around him. Once we were in the glider, our experience skyrocketed into AWESOME...our pilot, David, was AMAZING! He was so calm, collected, informative, passionate about what he did, and he explained everything to us and what to expect in acute detail. He also pointed out many features and landmarks of Boulder when we were in the air. We flew out over the Flatirons, made big banking turns for the ultimate bird's eye view, and it was an incredible, memorable experience. Truly worth every cent for the flight itself and expertise of the pilot that we were lucky to have. I was really hoping I wouldn't feel queasy during the flight, but sure enough - about 30 minutes in, I knew I was a little off, so our pilot purposely kept the flight as smooth as possible for me and we opted to avoid any trickier maneuvers. If you are prone to motion-sickness from reading in a car, do not eat anything before you get into the glider and maybe take a Dramamine beforehand. Overall, I highly recommend this experience if you are not on a tight timeline, can go with the flow, have cash to spare, and can exercise patience when dealing with unorganized management. The flight itself is one you will remember for the rest of your life. A+++ to our glider pilot, and the pilot alone, for making this excellent experience what it was.

5  Thank J B
Reviewed 24 August 2015 via mobile

Bought this for my husband. I found everyone to be friendly and knowledgeable. He had an absolutely wonderful time. He's a retired commercial pilot and this was on his bucket list. He came back grinning and hasn't stopped yet:)

2  Thank rdorough47
Reviewed 19 September 2014

My husband took the City View sailplane ride - had a fantastic time! His pilot/instructor was very informative and educational as well.

2  Thank BestestAunt
See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I purchased a deal for a glider flight for two from Mile High Gliding last December. Mile High Gliding repeatedly rescheduled the flight (with only 3 hours notice) due to poor weather conditions. This went on every weekend for four months. Last week I had to reschedule the appointment due to a work emergency and called them with as much notice as possible (18 hours notice), but they did not receive my message until after our scheduled flight time since they do not regularly check voice mail. I even called more than once hoping they would get the message or answer the phone.

They apparently didn't ever check voice mail over those 18 hours and let me know that my money was non-refundable and they are unwilling to reschedule the appointment since I did not give 24 hours notice. Mile High Gliding asked me to get in touch with Amazon Local, "get my money back and buy more flight lessons".

It seems to me that they have set up a nice system of keeping people's money without delivering any flights. After four months of back and fourth with the company, I really just wanted my money back and to be able to forget about this whole negative experience.

I absolutely do not recommend this company- terrible customer service and an irresponsible, dishonest company culture.

12  Thank dwo2014