“Disappointed”
Review of Penrose Room

Penrose Room
Reserve with OpenTable
Penrose Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 1,478 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Lake Circle
Description: Elegant ambiance, gracious service, and a creative menu invite guests into Colorado's only Five Star, Five Diamond dining experience at the Penrose Room. Contemporary European cuisine is inspired by the seasons and displays the delectable creations of our executive chef. Hand-crafted dishes are filled with the finest seafood, meats, and local produce. Our expert sommeliers will navigate you through an extensive European wine list to perfectly compliment your dinner. In conclusion to your impeccable meal, a collection of dessert temptations await to delight your palate. Dance the night away to the soothing sounds of our live entertainment in the classic, stylish atmosphere of the Penrose Room. Located at the top of the South Tower overlooking the Resort grounds. Attire: Jackets required for gentlemen, tie optional. Dress suits, dress slacks and evening attire are required. Please no denim, athletic wear, sport wear, pool attire, or gentlemen's hats.
Reviewed 10 September 2017

It was my husband's birthday so we went to the Penrose Room. Since we were staying in the South Tower, it was handy. I was surprised by a number of things. First, we arrived early in order to have drinks in the bar next to the Penrose Rose. I ordered a Blood and Sand and the man delivered it but said it had been made without cherry herring since they were out. It was acceptable but I was surprised they even delivered the drink in the first place. My husband's second martini (with Chopin vodka) was definitely not right. He has sent a drink back only one other time in his entire life. He said this one tasted like gin...and the barkeep did sip it, throw it out, and make a new one which was good, by the way. On to diinner. For the price, we were both disappointed. I had read the other reviews on here and thought well....you know....some people.... But I guess I am one of those "some people" now. The amuse buches beetween courses were not particularly amusing or tasty. The menu tries too hard to be "gournet," and it is rather difficult to find something to enjoy. I did like my foie gras and lobster. Ray was terribly disappointed in the tiny (6-8 ounces max) ribeye. On the plus side, they decorated his dessert for his birthday, the music was lovely, and the service was impeccable. I am not difficult to please....but this was definitely not my premier spot of all time. We had better meals in the old Charles Court back in the day.

3  Thank AroundtheWorld

Reviewed 8 August 2017

We spent our 10th anniversary celebrating at the Penrose Room. What a great choice this was! We had the chef's menu with wine pairing and everything was delicious! It was 7 courses and we were definitely full afterwards. The only thing we wouldn't do again is add on the Australian truffles to our duck. They were too pungent and overpowered the duck.

Service was impeccable! There was a card waiting for us when we sat down and our dessert at the end had happy 10th anniversary on it which was that extra special something. A 20% service charge is automatically added to the bill but everyone still served as if they were earning it, which is not always the case with auto tips.

Overall a very special evening and worth the price!

1  Thank account4fun
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I had an incredible meal. The room is gorgeous, elegant and classy. The service is five star. The menu is delicate and unique. There is live music and a dance floor while you time.

I started with the chicken tortellini, which was bland and not amazing, but my husband had the tartare and said it was the best he's ever had. For my entrée, I had the prime rib and it was as tender as I've ever had. My husband had at the duck which he also loved. This place is worth the romantic and culinary experience.

1  Thank Permanenthoneymoon
Reviewed 27 July 2017

Went to a 5 star restaurant for our 43 wedding anniversary. The service was excellent. All the people were wonderful. So why not 5 stars. They forgot the carbs, it is mostly protein and veggies.. The salads are small and the meals do not come with a starch. We had the veal for two and what there was was very good. So if you go hungry, get a lot of bread. They bring small loaves on request , but serve only one at a time. There are no side dishes available. The desserts are also very light and not very inspiring. They talk about a special port with chocolate offering but don't offer a rich chocolate dessert. My wife likes salty foods and thought the food and even the butter was salty. For years my favorite dish was the chateaubriand for two--it was fabulous but is no longer available. the view of the city was also wonderful and the atmosphere and music was very nice . But at the price you are paying,it is not for everyone. And finally, they tell you on the menu a 20% tip is applied to the bill, but when they present the bill there is a place to add a tip----stay sober and aware. The Penrose Room is not what it was.

1  Thank Brodie G
Reviewed 20 July 2017 via mobile

Beautiful room with great views.Staff very attentive and a lot of fun to interact with.Great suggestions on food and beverage. Obvious that a lot of training goes into the staff.Three piece group with singer added to the evening with music and dancing.We had 3 course menu. With all the extra little special tastings the Chef sent our way was more than enough to eat.Food presentations very appealing and unique ,especially desserts.Certainly the "big splurge " at the hotel but we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.Would certainly return for special occasions.