“More than an unique ethnic dining experience”
Review of Uchenna

Uchenna
Ranked #3 of 1,558 Restaurants in Colorado Springs
Price range: US$10 - US$32
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Uchenna is closed on Monday.Open Tuesday-Friday lunch 11:30am to 2:00pm dinner 5:00pm to 08:00pm Saturdays and Sundays 12:00pm to 2:00pm dinner 5:00pm to 08:00pm Honoured to welcome you.Peace and Blessings
Reviewed 13 November 2017

The restaurant was small and the decor was interesting and well done. The food was delicious, but the best of the experience was the kindness and care of Maya. Though I'm sure she has explained this a thousand times, it seemed like the first time she lovingly explained the customs and food of "her country". She exudes kindness and desire to make your experience one you won't forget. Definitely look forward to another visit when back in Colorado Springs.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Awesome, one word review! The lamb dish (Yebeg Alecha) was incredible! I could eat that all day and not be sick of it. And my husband got the raw beef (Kitfo) because we wanted to go out of our comfort zone and oh my goodness was it delicious! I would not have believed it was raw unless someone told me. Has a texture similar to tuna if you're a texture person.
The orange water tea is so good! I enjoyed my rose water tea as well but the orange was my favorite!
Dessert was another masterpiece too. We ordered the Saragli and Baklava and both were off the charts delicious!
Maya was truly wonderful! We asked for silverware and her response was "God gave you five fingers, that's built in silverware" and I loved it! Gave it an authentic feel, and how many places can you go and eat with your fingers and not be judged! She encouraged us to try the coffee without creamer (I about died at the thought of that) and boy am I glad she talked me into it. Hands down the best coffee I've ever had (eat that Starbucks)! As we left she hugged us and said "Welcome to the Uchenna family". She is such a sweetheart!
Atmosphere was pleasant as well. She has some stories and Ethiopian history posted on the walls and menu which we enjoyed learning about. It was a quiet place so perfect for date night and with the location it is perfect for a stroll through the shops in Old Colorado City afterwards.
Bottom line: perfect unique date night and serves all diets (vegetarian and vegan options available). You will leave feeling not only full but loved! HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend this place!

Reviewed 15 September 2017

The restaurant is nestled in a corner of an old strip mall so it can be hard to find at first. The food is unique and the owner is a sweet little old lady from Africa who will treat you like a King or Queen. I bring many of my out of town visitors to this unique and charming restaurant. This restaurant has won many local awards for its food. Try it - I guarantee you'll like it.

Reviewed 3 September 2017

Located in a strip mall type setting in the historic section of Colorado Springs. A little hard to find, but worth the search.

We arrived near the end of the lunch service, and despite our late arrival and our group of 5, they were more than gracious and accommodating. We felt rude and were prepared to leave, but they insisted we stay and made a special setting just for us.

The lemonade with rose water was yummy. I especially loved the lamb with basmati rice. My daughter's shrimp with basmati rice was very good as well. We have been to several Ethiopian restaurants in our travels, and we always compare new experiences to our favorite Ethiopian restaurant in Washington, DC. The food at Uchenna is very, very good, but it did not have the exotic spice level nor the exotic presentation you would get from the Ethiopian restaurants in DC where you must grab food items off of a tray using the Ethiopian bread. You do not get silverware. Uchenna is a tamed down, touristy version of our favorite Ethiopian restaurant.

Lunch plates are not overwhelming. Just the right amount of food without over doing it. Prices are reasonable with most of our plates around the $13 range.

Given the fact that we were given such kind service, I do not feel comfortable offering any criticism, but just in case you experience a similar situation, please be forewarned. My daughter has always had acid reflux, and for various reasons, never finishes any meal. She tends to eat slowly and deliberately, and tends to graze throughout the day. Well, the fact that my daughter had leftovers appeared to really insult the owner. She made it a point to ask why both my wife and daughter did not finish their plates. I was rather put off trying to explain health issues to somebody I do not know, but it was equivalent to scolding your grandmother. While the owner wasn't looking I tried to stuff in the remainder of my daughter's plate so that as little as possible was left. It made for an awkward end of the meal. Our plan was to take the 2 small remainders back to our hotel for later, but by the time I bulldozed through them, it just wasn't worth it. Even the tiny bit left on the one plate seemed not to be kosher. The point being, lick your plate clean to keep her happy LOL.

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

The food was awesome. The coffee was awesome. The baklava was awesome.

I only wish the portions were a little bigger but I will definitely be coming back.