Country Family Inn and Restaurant
US$80
BestWestern.com
Great 4.5/5
Rio Grande Motel(Monte Vista)(Great Value!)
US$68
US$58
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Monte Villa Inn(Monte Vista)
US$65
Travelocity
Good 3.5/5
US$80
Great 4.5/5
Spruce Lodge(South Fork)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$88
US$109
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 2 November 2016 via mobile

Checked out briefly. The two rooms we are shown were uninhabitable, the smell was awful. We were cycling and camping down the Great Divide and so we were used to roughing it but this was too much. Avoid.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 July 2016

We have been stopping here for years for breakfast on our way from Texas to Lake City. They serve a very good breakfast with the hungry traveler being our favorite. They have the usual choices for breakfast and the portions are large. The local men gather at a front table for coffee and confab. I do miss that the new cook does not do the fabulous pies that the previous owner did. We will continue to look forward to another breakfast here some day.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Minetta S
Reviewed 2 June 2016 via mobile

My father was the original owner of this property back in 1989 until his passing in 2004. While I can't comment on the state of the property under current ownership, I can say that if you're looking for luxurious accommodations this was never the place. My father took a great deal of pride in both the restaurant and the motel. My dad made updates when he could and maintained the property well. My dad believed in providing a quality experience to each guest. He was a kind man that did the best he could and he wasn't about trying to get rich, he really loved that motel and café. I hope the current owners will continue to do the best they can, it's a cute property with good potential if some money is invested to keep it updated. I hope the Country Family Inn has a long life. I loved spending time out there in that part of the country, it sure was beautiful and while it's been 12 years since I visited I am sure it continues to be!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank vballdad70
Reviewed 10 February 2015

Wow, some folks are mean!

We found this place perfectly ok. It was affordable and we got what we paid for. Nothing fancy, but we paid $59. What can you expect. Our room was clean, the sheets were clean. We asked for extra towels and got them, no fuss.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Haley L
Reviewed 14 October 2014

Ended up here after a long hard day and evening of driving through the mountains.

This is indeed a very small town- the last one before entering the vast Rio Grande National Forest. That meant luxury accommodations aren't to be expected. The young gentleman who answered my knock was very polite and respectful, unusual for a teenager woken up by a tired customer.

As he realized how late it was (past midnight), he said: "Never mind what my father says. You can have the room for $25." I was quite grateful for his willingness to negotiate that price, given how late it was and how little I'd get to use the room (only a few hours' for sleeping).

After expecting a simple room for a hotel, I was surprised at the truly rustic characteristic of the room he put me in. There were several antique furniture in the anteroom, including a washbasin with water pitcher, rocking chair, table, even old gramophones and telegraph machines. It was like stepping back in time 150 years.

Even the gigantic 4 poster bed in the next room was lit with electrified-antique oil lamps. Very interesting! I was surprised at such decor for just $25. That bed was indeed so comfortable and soft after weeks of sleeping on the hard ground.

The only part that wasn't quite from a bygone era was the bathroom: adequately outfitted with tile, hot/cold water, showerhead, tub, etc. Good for a long hot shower to wash off the sweat and grime of the woods.

In the morning, I surveyed the architecture with better vision. Indeed, the ranch-style drive-up hotel is simple by today's standards: the windows are smaller, letting in less light, making the inside seem dingy, as does the heavy dark carpet. Makes complete sense since this building was probably several decades old, in a small limited-trade town. No true opportunity for decor overhaul and modernization, other than the essentials. That explains the other dissatisfactory reviews. It's a simple hotel that does what is needed in a small highway-stop town.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled solo