“Staple, but sliding”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Iowa and Florida on South Pearl
Transit: Near the Louisiana Lightrail station.
Reviewed 9 August 2015 via mobile

I've been to Black Pearl several times over the years and have always gotten a great meal. Two years ago I though this was an amazing restaurant, but it seems to have stood still. Still a quality meal, but not super special.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

the menu was complicated - too many ingredients in each dish and they use very foodie terms so its not really clear what you are getting. The food was average - nothing special. The service was good.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

Lots of really good healthy items on the menu. The portions are not very big, but everything was very tasty. The staff are attentive, perhaps sometimes a little too attentive. It was also a little pricey. But all in all, a good place to dine.

Reviewed 15 March 2015

Since our great visit here 2 years ago, the kitchen is sliding off the slippery slope here. Same great atmosphere and service, but the food has taken a nose-dive. Upon sitting, we were presented with a salmon tartare on a thin cucumber slice; horribly fishy, almost to the point of being spoiled - my wife and I grimmaced and enjoyed the sting of some Knob Creek to kill it. The only really good thing came next, the calamari with sesame, soy, and pistachios - it was cooked perfectly and the chunks were thick and delicious. The bread was probably the most bland, tasteless bread I have ever had - and cold! How can you get served a cold basket of bread with a towel over it? We almost laughed at that one. The venison was not bad but definitely not medium-rare as ordered - cold in the middle and red/raw (I don't mind my meat on the rare side and the flavor was actually good, but it may not bode well for others). Large, impressive wine list, but very limited on the by-the-glass selections.

Overall we were very underwhelmed with what has happened here. Big changes!

2  Thank bisonburger
Reviewed 12 March 2015

I travel every week and I get to eat at the best restaurants. I always try to find different places to try and bring my customers too and Denver is one of the best cities to do that. My boss chose the Black Pearl because he knows more about wine than anybody I know and WS gave this place a decent rating. I really liked the atmosphere and the people were really nice. My boss thought the service was poor but I liked our waitress. Everything good about the place was ended there. I had a blue cheese app... terrible, greasy, overdone mushrooms on top. The calamari was supposed to be some kind of Asian influence...tasted like barbeque sauce. I had mussels for dinner...sounded great...basically mussels in barbeque sauce. Everybody else said there food was either poor or just OK. The wine was the topper. My boss ordered Plumpjack, one of my favorites, room temperature to this place means 80 deg. Then my boss ordered a Dunn Howell mountain....definitely corked...I have been out with my boss a thousand times and it is the first time I saw him send a bottle back...the manager said it tasted funny because Howell mountain fruit isn't big and bold like other Napa Cabs. I have been to every winery on Howell Mountain...it is the biggest boldest fruit in Napa....currently probably the most prized. I doubt this joker had ever even been to Napa. The Wine was terrible and we drank it because the manager was not going to do what was right. One of the worst meals I have ever had. I am easy to please and If you check my reviews I don't think I have ever left a bad one before. There are just so many great restaurants in Denver don't waste your time on this one.

2  Thank blackjeepguy