“over rated and over priced”
Review of Black Pearl - CLOSED

Black Pearl
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Iowa and Florida on South Pearl
Transit: Near the Louisiana Lightrail station.
Reviewed 6 September 2015

Small mediocre quality dishes for big money, once was enough for me!
Selection was very limited and prices were very high.
Lots of fancy name but in the end we spent $150 for 4 and left hungry and unsatisfied.
I am just glad my girlfriend didn't get sick from the stinky ceviche.

Reviewed 9 August 2015 via mobile

I've been to Black Pearl several times over the years and have always gotten a great meal. Two years ago I though this was an amazing restaurant, but it seems to have stood still. Still a quality meal, but not super special.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

the menu was complicated - too many ingredients in each dish and they use very foodie terms so its not really clear what you are getting. The food was average - nothing special. The service was good.

Reviewed 30 July 2015

Lots of really good healthy items on the menu. The portions are not very big, but everything was very tasty. The staff are attentive, perhaps sometimes a little too attentive. It was also a little pricey. But all in all, a good place to dine.

Reviewed 15 March 2015

Since our great visit here 2 years ago, the kitchen is sliding off the slippery slope here. Same great atmosphere and service, but the food has taken a nose-dive. Upon sitting, we were presented with a salmon tartare on a thin cucumber slice; horribly fishy, almost to the point of being spoiled - my wife and I grimmaced and enjoyed the sting of some Knob Creek to kill it. The only really good thing came next, the calamari with sesame, soy, and pistachios - it was cooked perfectly and the chunks were thick and delicious. The bread was probably the most bland, tasteless bread I have ever had - and cold! How can you get served a cold basket of bread with a towel over it? We almost laughed at that one. The venison was not bad but definitely not medium-rare as ordered - cold in the middle and red/raw (I don't mind my meat on the rare side and the flavor was actually good, but it may not bode well for others). Large, impressive wine list, but very limited on the by-the-glass selections.

Overall we were very underwhelmed with what has happened here. Big changes!

2  Thank bisonburger