“I Think We've Seen The Future”
Review of Black Pearl - CLOSED

Black Pearl
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Iowa and Florida on South Pearl
Transit: Near the Louisiana Lightrail station.
Reviewed 17 February 2016

Great Date Night at Black Pearl, a place we heard had potential, a fine brunch and a great bar. The tasting menu/ prix-fixe hybrid we each ate had several exceptional parts. Evidence of great skill abounds in the Skewered French Onion soup (smoked Emmentaler!) Lamb Tartare & chili oil, Ling Cod (excellent lightness) the Buffalo short ribs and a rich but light Chocolate Lava Cake. I would buy the cake by the pound if they made enough of it. Ditto the amuse bouche, a puffy bit of bone marrow. Stuff That Detracts: thinly sliced but raw, un-flavored beets and tough beet greens wrapped around the ribs, which only served to get in the way. We can see different parts of this menu being paired off as full meals, and that alone would be worth returning a few times. The BP has found a level of cuisine that they are well advised to maintain. Good Show!

Date of visit: February 2016

Reviewed 25 November 2015

I had heard about Black Pearl from several friends and finally made it there. It is a little pricey, but I used a DIning Out coupon with a 2 for 1 entree which helped. We got there during happy hour when drinks are half price and you can get half price oysters on the half shell. Also bottles of wine were half price. With all of that, we had plenty to eat and drink for a reasonable sum.

We started with the duck sausage appetizer served with beet kraut and balsamic vinegar. Really tasty. THe balsamic vinegar complimented the sausage perfectly. Even if you don't like sauerkraut or beets, there's a good chance you'll like the beet kraut.

My friend got the duck breast served on top of a sous vide butternut squash sauce. Seriously, I'd take a bath in the butternut squash it was so good. THe duck breast was delicious. I ordered osso bucco with Brussels sprouts leaves and grated sweet potato. I really liked the vegetables. The osso bucco was OK. For dessert, we had a banana custard. There were slices of banana on the side with a creme brulee crust on them.

Great meal all around. Early on a Sunday evening, there were enough people to make it feel social but still quiet and good for conversation.

Date of visit: November 2015
Reviewed 17 September 2015

I wanted a light lunch and that's what I got. I ordered the shrimp salad, which was very good, but so light that I was still very hungry afterward. Service was good and the menu had a variety of interesting dishes.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 6 September 2015

Small mediocre quality dishes for big money, once was enough for me!
Selection was very limited and prices were very high.
Lots of fancy name but in the end we spent $150 for 4 and left hungry and unsatisfied.
I am just glad my girlfriend didn't get sick from the stinky ceviche.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed 9 August 2015 via mobile

I've been to Black Pearl several times over the years and have always gotten a great meal. Two years ago I though this was an amazing restaurant, but it seems to have stood still. Still a quality meal, but not super special.

Date of visit: August 2015