“Disappointing ”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Iowa and Florida on South Pearl
Transit: Near the Louisiana Lightrail station.
Reviewed 6 March 2016 via mobile

Super disappointed. We came here with friends for Denver restaurant week, and after paying $100 each including drinks, we were still hungry! We went to sexy pizza down the road for some real food.

What we had was delicious, but you sure didn't get much of it! I think my dessert was bigger than my entree. I understand that Denver restaurant week is meant to be a sample of some of Denver's finer restaurants - and a sample is exactly what we got. But to leave people hungry is a poor effort on their part. The overhead on food in general is ridiculous, black pearl could have really afforded to serve more. This attempt to bring people back failed, we won't be back.

Service: good, friendly, quick to refill our water. Although when clearing plates had no shame asking me to pass mine over so they didn't have to try and squeeze between tables (I'm no snob but when you charge silly amounts for food I want meticulous service) and after losing our knives to our appetisers, had to ask for some with our entrees.

Food: for appetisers I had the lamb arancini, it was nice, not much lamb in it, hard as rock carrot slivers on the side and just 1 arancini ball. My hubby got the vegetable napolean, said it was very good too.
For entree I got the squid ink pasta with lobster emulsion. No lobster taste whatsoever but was nice otherwise. My hubby got the lamb t-bone. It was delicious!! The Yorkshire pudding was missing gravy though. One of our friends had the malfatti, she said delicious but tiny.
Dessert was the choice between and orange chocolate blondie and a pear caramel pistachio tarte tatin. The were both great and larger than expected after the first two courses.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

Great Date Night at Black Pearl, a place we heard had potential, a fine brunch and a great bar. The tasting menu/ prix-fixe hybrid we each ate had several exceptional parts. Evidence of great skill abounds in the Skewered French Onion soup (smoked Emmentaler!) Lamb Tartare & chili oil, Ling Cod (excellent lightness) the Buffalo short ribs and a rich but light Chocolate Lava Cake. I would buy the cake by the pound if they made enough of it. Ditto the amuse bouche, a puffy bit of bone marrow. Stuff That Detracts: thinly sliced but raw, un-flavored beets and tough beet greens wrapped around the ribs, which only served to get in the way. We can see different parts of this menu being paired off as full meals, and that alone would be worth returning a few times. The BP has found a level of cuisine that they are well advised to maintain. Good Show!

Reviewed 25 November 2015

I had heard about Black Pearl from several friends and finally made it there. It is a little pricey, but I used a DIning Out coupon with a 2 for 1 entree which helped. We got there during happy hour when drinks are half price and you can get half price oysters on the half shell. Also bottles of wine were half price. With all of that, we had plenty to eat and drink for a reasonable sum.

We started with the duck sausage appetizer served with beet kraut and balsamic vinegar. Really tasty. THe balsamic vinegar complimented the sausage perfectly. Even if you don't like sauerkraut or beets, there's a good chance you'll like the beet kraut.

My friend got the duck breast served on top of a sous vide butternut squash sauce. Seriously, I'd take a bath in the butternut squash it was so good. THe duck breast was delicious. I ordered osso bucco with Brussels sprouts leaves and grated sweet potato. I really liked the vegetables. The osso bucco was OK. For dessert, we had a banana custard. There were slices of banana on the side with a creme brulee crust on them.

Great meal all around. Early on a Sunday evening, there were enough people to make it feel social but still quiet and good for conversation.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

I wanted a light lunch and that's what I got. I ordered the shrimp salad, which was very good, but so light that I was still very hungry afterward. Service was good and the menu had a variety of interesting dishes.

Reviewed 6 September 2015

Small mediocre quality dishes for big money, once was enough for me!
Selection was very limited and prices were very high.
Lots of fancy name but in the end we spent $150 for 4 and left hungry and unsatisfied.
I am just glad my girlfriend didn't get sick from the stinky ceviche.