“Expensive small portions...”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Between Iowa and Florida on South Pearl
Transit: Near the Louisiana Lightrail station.
Reviewed 30 June 2016

We tried this restaurant because we had a Restaurant.com coupon and knew it looked a little pricey but it was a birthday celebration so thought we'd give it a try...
It was disappointing...
Very friendly and welcoming employees...We had a great window table so it was fun to people watch.
We started out with Calamari with a sweet chile sauce which was very tasty! The birthday girl ordered the Surf and Turf, she was happy with it. I had the fish special which was Halibut with mango couscous. It sounded delish but the fish was over cooked so it had to go back, the next serving was raw in the middle. I didn't taste the mango in the couscous, but it did have the color. Both of our portions were quite small.
We split a piece of cheesecake which was much larger than our entrees and good.
Sorry, but I don't think I'll be back, well actually maybe for a drink and appetizers at the window table.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

The location was cozy, in the Platt Park neighborhood, and we were seated right away. Waitress was nice enough and got out our drinks and appetizer out relatively quickly. The brunch menu is somewhat limited. When our entrees cam out, my wife's order was wrong. This is where it went downhill. It took the kitchen over 30 minutes to make my wife's original order and then, when it was delivered, the eggs benedict was missing the hollandaise sauce! The waitress kindly comped both my wife's meal and the appetizer, but even so, the bill for breakfast was still $65.00. Yikes. The Black Pearl needs to step up their game in terms of brunch if we are ever to return.

2  Thank Jason P
Reviewed 23 April 2016 via mobile

We went in for a glass of wine and a lite bite to eat. Like many of the reviewers have said, the portion was disappointing. We had the charcuterie and cheese chef's board. While the selections were nice, the portion of each cheese and meat were tiny. On the bright side, the pour on my wine was healthy.

Reviewed 6 March 2016 via mobile

Super disappointed. We came here with friends for Denver restaurant week, and after paying $100 each including drinks, we were still hungry! We went to sexy pizza down the road for some real food.

What we had was delicious, but you sure didn't get much of it! I think my dessert was bigger than my entree. I understand that Denver restaurant week is meant to be a sample of some of Denver's finer restaurants - and a sample is exactly what we got. But to leave people hungry is a poor effort on their part. The overhead on food in general is ridiculous, black pearl could have really afforded to serve more. This attempt to bring people back failed, we won't be back.

Service: good, friendly, quick to refill our water. Although when clearing plates had no shame asking me to pass mine over so they didn't have to try and squeeze between tables (I'm no snob but when you charge silly amounts for food I want meticulous service) and after losing our knives to our appetisers, had to ask for some with our entrees.

Food: for appetisers I had the lamb arancini, it was nice, not much lamb in it, hard as rock carrot slivers on the side and just 1 arancini ball. My hubby got the vegetable napolean, said it was very good too.
For entree I got the squid ink pasta with lobster emulsion. No lobster taste whatsoever but was nice otherwise. My hubby got the lamb t-bone. It was delicious!! The Yorkshire pudding was missing gravy though. One of our friends had the malfatti, she said delicious but tiny.
Dessert was the choice between and orange chocolate blondie and a pear caramel pistachio tarte tatin. The were both great and larger than expected after the first two courses.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

Great Date Night at Black Pearl, a place we heard had potential, a fine brunch and a great bar. The tasting menu/ prix-fixe hybrid we each ate had several exceptional parts. Evidence of great skill abounds in the Skewered French Onion soup (smoked Emmentaler!) Lamb Tartare & chili oil, Ling Cod (excellent lightness) the Buffalo short ribs and a rich but light Chocolate Lava Cake. I would buy the cake by the pound if they made enough of it. Ditto the amuse bouche, a puffy bit of bone marrow. Stuff That Detracts: thinly sliced but raw, un-flavored beets and tough beet greens wrapped around the ribs, which only served to get in the way. We can see different parts of this menu being paired off as full meals, and that alone would be worth returning a few times. The BP has found a level of cuisine that they are well advised to maintain. Good Show!