Wapiti Lodge
Quality Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$140
Homewood
Strater Hotel(Durango)
US$165
US$199
La Quinta Inn & Suites Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$179
Adventure Inn Durango(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$135
US$199
Siesta Motel(Durango)(Great Value!)
US$115
US$108
US$200
Travelocity
All reviewsone nightnice grassy areaolder propertyfull kitchenpicnic tablescoffee makernew ownersstay there againcomfortable roomchain hotelschecking inno elevatoreasy accessmesa verdehot tubmotelkey
Reviewed 25 January 2018

There are so many overpriced places to stay in Durango. What to do if you just want a place to stay while you explore Mesa Verde? Stay at Wapiti Lodge. Amazingly roomy suites for a great price. Friendly owners, too!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 January 2018

I really wanted to like this place. Really. Unfortunately they made it almost impossible to do so.

While the room had obviously been updated with new, fluffy towels and some nicer furnishings than in some of the pictures there were some important problems.

The latch on the bathroom window was non-functioning and even after telling the ?manager/owner? nothing was done about it. The door to the room had 4 large fissures in the wood (see photo); it appears the door had been kicked in, although the ?manager/owner? said it was from being slammed too hard. (If that were the case the wood would be compressed, not exploded apart and the damage would be on the room side of the bolt, not the other side.) The bolt was so loose in the wood the door had to be manhandled to catch when trying to close it. And there was no secondary safely latch on the door to secure it. (When we asked the ?manager/owner? about it on Sunday he commented, "This is Durango.".)

I told the night clerk about the door, and even and showed it to him, at 6 on Saturday night. Sunday morning, after we stayed in the room for several hours waiting for someone to fix it , I went back to the office and told, plus showed, the day clerk. When I asked how long before someone would fix it, I was curlty told, 'It's Christmas eve!'. Someone showed up a bit later (he never introduced himself) and put a single longer screw in to it to stop it from moving around and then asked, "Does this make you happy?".

To be fair, we were asked if we wanted another room, but how could we know we would get anything better. We thought about moving to the Days Inn across the street that was **$10/night cheaper**, but it was Christmas eve and we really preferred not to be uprooted in the cold.

Add to all of that they had the TV, coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator all plugged into one (1) socket. (Again, check the photos.) The room was on such on electrical overload that my little fan (for white noise - the road noise was awful) kept slowing down and speeding up all night, every night. Guess it was a good thing the bathroom vent didn't work at all (?manager/owner? didn't bother with that either) and one of the lights over the sink only worked intermittently. Fortunately they had smoke detectors.

*I just remembered (with a list this long can you blame me) the toilet clanked every time someone sat on it and it leaked constantly from the main valve (the ?manager/owner? left a note that he came back to fix it - shame he walked away after "fixing" the door and never said a word about it.). Also, the shower head was on old style water saver and the knob to adjust it didn't work. The water temp would also fluctuate, sometimes wildly, while showering. The review by someone previously about the water pressure is also accurate. I have short hair and I couldn't get all the conditioner out of it either.*

Other than all of that, the missing paint, stains & scuffs on the walls and the shoddy job of changing a dividing wall, the room was pretty good.

To the manager - Does this make you happy?

Room Tip: Don't accept room #15!
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Donna_in_TX
Garth S, Manager at Wapiti Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2018

It was amazing how rude you were to my staff and myself after we did everything in our power to make you happy. I asked you after I fixed the door and it worked perfectly, if this would satisfy you. I was polite and friendly. Your husband got an inch from my face and screamed at me.I never reacted hostile to your hostility. I told you, you were welcome to leave if you didn't like the accomodations and then that is when you told me about the window and the toilet etc. I didn't want to come in your room when you were not there because you were so paranoid about security,... so I left you a note on your door that I would be happy to come back and fix these items and gave you my personal cell. You never bothered to call me. I love 99.9% of my guests but there are those like yourself that even on Christmas just want to try and make everyone around you unhappy. If you come back to Durango, you are not welcome at Wapiti Lodge. I will call the police and have you escorted out.
Mgmt

Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

Stayed here this weekend, and loved it... had stayed here a few years ago, but they have new owners.

The rooms have remodeled.new TVs, microwave, frig, and coffee maker now provided. ..we were in the room with 2 queens, and there is a partition between the beds. Just like a mini-suite. Really nice and comfy. The beds are sooo comfortable, with nice new bedding (not low thread count sheets either)..

They don't have breakfast, but the price is right. Only need coffee in the am anyway..

The grounds are nice and very pretty...

Will be staying again on our best weekend in Durango...

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

We booked a late October weekend a few days in advance. This place is so great, excellent value. There are several chain hotels directly adjacent, but we loved the Wapiti. Everyone was so friendly from the original booking to checking in and any questions we had for our entire stay. Clean comfortable room, nice hot tub and grounds, we recommend without hesitation!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2017

Pretty ok place. Very nice staff. Clean and comfortable. Noisy however. Could hear the tenants above me, even their voices. Annoying at 5 a.m. Other than that no complaints. Walked into town, which was a bonus with the exception of shady guys on the bike path. A couple told us not to go on the path because of them, so we walked along the road. Kind of a bummer that even in Durango you have to fear for your safety as a woman.

Room Tip: walk to town
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family