“Great site for history lovers”

Doc Holliday's Grave
More attraction details
Fee: No
Colorado
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Great site for history lovers”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I had no idea how far Doc Holliday’s Grave was from Hotel Colorado (which is where we stayed during our trip to GWS). We had asked around and the guy said “oh, just take 12th street and it’s up about 5 blocks”. Okay, ya, that is where the trail to the grave site begins. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE hiking, but I wasn’t prepared and brought horrible shoes with me. We went to the site in February right after a few days of snow. The site was muddy and icy and it was like trying to climb UP an ice skating rink – I am not exaggerating, it was THAT slippery. I had to hang onto the bushes and reeds of plants to make my way up/down from the cemetery. I would have liked to go up on better prepared – because we had already walked to the trail I figured I would go for the climb. In all honesty, any other time and the hike would have been a piece of cake, but it was really slippery (I can’t emphasize that enough). And because it took so long to get to the top, we only had time to make it to the grave, take a photo and then walk back. I didn’t realize that there really isn’t a grave site for Doc Holliday – it’s only a memorial headstone that is dedicated to him followed by a plaque that says “here is a memorial dedicated to Doc Holliday, who is buried somewhere in this cemetery”. Apparently, records of the actual location of the grave have been lost ages ago. Great place to visit for those history enthusiasts.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank vass78

Pueblo, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Doc's is the premier historic grave in the Central Colorado Mtns!!”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The view is fabulous, and the hike isn't bad, even in the winter!!

Visited February 2012
Glenwood Springs CO
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Glenwood's History.”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

The trailhead, trail and Linwood Cemetery are taken care of by the Frontier Historical Society who also runs the museum. The trailhead starts at 12th & Bennett and it is a short and easy walk up the hill. This is only a monument to Doc Holliday since his actual grave site is unknown but Kid Curry's grave is there. The Frontier Museum hosts a ghost walk around Halloween depicting characters from Glenwood's past.

Denver, Colorado
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“Short little hike - fun if you have some free time!”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

If you have some free time while in Glenwood Springs, definitely stop here. It's a short but pretty steep hike up to the old local graveyard where Doc Holliday is buried. There's a memorial headstone dedicated to him, but it does not mark his actual grave (the record's of it's actual location were lost long ago). There are a few displays about his history, as well as the history of the graveyard, that are fairly informative and interesting, especially for western history buffs.

Overall, it's a little piece of history that's fairly interesting to go see, but your visit will be short, sweet, and a bit of a workout.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank kingshimmers
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Nice Short Hike”
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Can't believe the 'Wild West' history is so close and access-able. Lots of old west grave markers and a real gun-slinger's headstone.

Visited July 2011