Western Star Inn and Suites Stoughton
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewsin towngreat hotelplace to staycomplaintsaskatchewanbedssupper
Reviewed 13 September 2015

I'm fascinated that in the smallest of towns, which is typical in Saskatchewan there is such a modern hotel. There are larger centres where you couldn't find this quality! Clearly this hotel was built in the heyday of the oil industry boom in southern Saskatchewan. That boom has quietened down significantly although there are still plenty of oil wells in production. There were no more than a half dozen guests when I stayed here. It was like having a hotel all to myself.

The rooms are nicely appointed. I recommend the King kitchen suite which has everything you need. The bed and pillows are indeed very comfortable. I find it strange (and this is not the only hotel that does this) that designers insist on putting a bed right beside the air conditioning vent. Why would anyone want cold air blowing on them so close by. I turned mine off and thankfully the windows open.

There were a couple of things that baffled me. A few of the outlets in the walls seem available to use, but I couldn't get anything plugged in them no matter how hard I tried. it was like they were sealed half way inside. There was a lovely stand lamp in the room and it was not plugged in. I now know why, the plug won't go in the outlet.

The bathroom is beautiful and the show is divine.

The staff are lovely and very helpful. I was not blown away by the breakfast as some were. My first cup of coffee was stoned cold, but I asked them to make more, which they did, but it was so strong it was barely drinkable (and I like strong coffee so that's saying something for me) I supposed if you like bacon, hash browns, omelettes stuffed with cheese and ham you'll be in heaven. I being a health nut found nothing to eat here. Lots of carbs. No yogurts or those great little hard boiled eggs that many breakfasts include. A lot of bread, muffins, bagels, waffles..starches. I travel with my own food for this very reason.

Don't get me wrong. It is an excellent hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. I'd just like a nutritionist to design the breakfast. It doesn't have to be expensive, just healthier.

This gym is one of the most well appointed hotel gyms I've ever seen!

If you stay here, you MUST and I mean MUST travel down the highway 15 minutes and stay at THE HAPPY NUN CAFE in Forget, SK. This will be one of most memorable meals of your life in the most unlikely of places. 5 star food. People travel from all over western Canada just to eat here. Don't miss it!

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 July 2015

Staff here were excellent during our stay. There was always fully stocked complimentary breakfast ready in the morning, and on two nights they even gave us dinner (which is great because there isn't many options is Stoughton) Rooms were kept clean with ice cold A/C and there is plenty of parking. Only complaint - creepy beetles crawl in from the nearby ditch during the summer when staff leave the side doors open - and there is a large gap under the room doors. Maybe stay on the second floor.

Room Tip: Maybe pick second floor rooms during summer, bugs tend to get in when side doors are left open by cleaning staff.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2015

Service was good, maids service poor (I was working nights, maids wanted to clean rooms everyday between 11 and 1). Rooms were agreed to be cleaned @ 5 30 morning and night. Check out for every guy on my crew was a hassle and pricey. I was over charged by one day, as well as three other guys on my crew, no matter what we said. They even threatened to call police!!! Wow real professional. One guy was charged an extra 200$ because someone that was in the room before hadn't paid (or I think the woman at the front desk can't add 2 + 2 and screws that up too). I will never stay there or any other Western Star again. Anyone I know that plans on staying at one will hear of our experience as well!

Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Lenreddeer
Reviewed 20 December 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with exceptional staff. The front desk staff, Jackie, in particular, went out of their way to make my stay as comfortable as possible. The breakfast was great, the soup in the evenings was awesome. The rooms are fantastic and very clean. I cant wait to stay there again in the new year. I will definitely recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 October 2014

Newer hotel, very clean and modern rooms with full kitchenettes that make it very convenient for eating well on the road. I find the mattresses on the beds to be of better quality than all other hotels in the area and have never had an issue sleeping well here. The bathrooms are well designed with walk in showers and a variety of towels are provided. The breakfast area offers a comfortable space with excellent hot breakfast and supper provided by the hotel at no extra cost. Coffee and various teas are available at any time of the day or night. Another great feature is that this hotel offers on-sight coin laundry. Finally and most importantly, the staff really takes the time to make sure that your stay is as convenient as possible and are they are always extremely friendly.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business