All reviews hot tub the main street stay there again rick fishbowl bec hike mattress hostel accommodations fridge town
Reviewed 11 August 2017

We were in town for an event, and ended up booking The Fishbowl for a week. Booking a non-chain location can either be exciting or nerve-wracking, but in this case it was a good decision.

The house itself used to be a bed and breakfast, but has since been turned into individual rooms with a hostel style lodgin. Each room has it's individual locks, and there are several different styles of rooms. The one we chose was one of the larger rooms and as a bonus, had outdoor access with no need to go through the main house. In fact, we were so busy and then exhausted at night, we never did venture indoors to the main house.

The Fishbowl is located at the back of the house, so you must enter through the gate and go towards the Casita room. It has it's own entrance and light. Then up a flight of narrow stairs and you enter another door. So in all, you two keys/doors to unlock. The outer and then your personal door. From personal preference, we usually kept both locked.

The room itself is spacious and comfortable. The bed has a foam addition, which made it quite comfy when sitting on it. There was a single mattress beneath the bed for extra guests. In addition, there was steps to lead up to the bed, which due to the height from the floor is necessary for those shorter than I. I'm tall. Even I found the steps helpful.

The bathroom is adequate. There is a jacuzzi tub that was a nice bonus and a shower. The tub worked well, while the shower did spray out water while using it. As a nice bonus, there was a heat lamp in the bathroom. Also, in the bathroom was skylights to bring bright light into. For us, we got to enjoy the afternoon rain showers.

The sink is in the main bedroom area, with well lit lights. There was a desk and a cabinet where the tv/vcr combo was located. In addition, there were linens, a pillow and a blanket there also.

While overall I really liked the room, there were a few things that I thought were problematic. To stay there for a week, there really wasn't anywhere to store your clothing. If you are there a day or two, it's great. But any longer, I wished for a spot where I didn't have to literally live out of my suitcase. Ended up stacking clothing on the floor. The desk, was used for computer and technology equipment.

Plus, the tv doesn't work. For us, it was no big deal because we were generally too tired to really care. But, for someone else to come in an expect it to work, don't. In addition, we noticed that somehow or another, someone had effectively made a VHS tape to stick in the VCR combo. Not us, it was already well wedged in there. Obviously either no one uses it, or didn't bother to say anything. Like us.

All in all, I think it was a great place to stay while in Leadville, either as a stopover or a hiker on the Colorado trail. There were many hikers whom we saw staying at the house. Plus, it being right off the main street makes walking into town super easy and delightful.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 July 2017

My wife and I stayed for a few days to relax and as a home base for our hike on Mt. Elbert. Ric, and Bec are great and they have a great place to relax. If you are wanting to stay in Leadville, this is the place. 20 Minutes to Mt. Elbert and Mt. Massive and short walk to downtown. Definitely would stay here again.

Room Tip: The Fish Bowl was very nice and a little more secluded. Bed was very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2017 via mobile

My kids and I stayed here for two nights during a road trip and had a great stay. We stayed in the Fishbowl and there was an extra bed setup for us in addition to the queen. The shower was awesome and they have a nice whirlpool tub.
There is food in the communal kitchen to make breakfast and snacks.
Bec is so friendly and helpful!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

I stayed here with my husband and my parents. My husband and I stayed in The Fishbowl and my parents had The Telescope Room. The beds were extremely comfortable and the very best part of the stay. Decor is really well done. The owners, Becky and Rick, have only run the Inn a little over a year and were very sweet and interesting hosts. This is a very large B&B that needs some work. They are constantly making improvements, but it will take some time and lots of money to get the B&B to live up to its potential. That being said, Becky and Rick were gracious and quick to respond with all of my requests. Some suggestions to them: change out guest towels daily or provide a process. Take out the trash in the rooms daily. Install permanent screens in all windows. Install curtains in the Fishbowl. Charge hikers or ask them to work to stay (yard work). Repaint the exterior. Fix your sign. Trim the trees. This is a GREAT old house with tremendous potential! We enjoyed this B&B and the quirkiness grew on us. However, this could be awesome if you make the above fixes.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

The best part about this Inn is the owner Rick who is friendly & helpful.
We had the blue room - huge, very high comfortable bed in a large room.
The bathroom definitely needs repairing, but I'm sure this will happen all in good time. It's cracked, chipped & discoloured so be prepared for this BUT this didn't stop us from enjoying this Inn.
Very reasonably priced.
Some food is available in the fridge which we were welcome to use. We didn't avail ourselves of this, but it's all part of the warmth of the place.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple