“Great little local ski resort”

Powderhorn Mountain Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 13 April 2015

Pros:
-Uncrowded, even on weekends
-Folks (both staff and customers) are generally friendlier in small resorts
-Good value on lift tickets compared to larger resorts
-Bill's Run is a really interesting intermediate ski run
-Family friendly, with little chance of getting lost from each other

Cons:
-Ski lifts are old-school and slow (but lack of lift lines makes up for the slow chairs, and supposedly a new high-speed chairlift will be installed for the 2015-2016 season)
-Towards the end of the season they close the west half of the mountain on weekdays to reduce operating costs
-If you're a pretty good skier you'll want to move on after several days

All reviews
"instructor"
in 7 reviews
"chairlift"

Reviewed 30 March 2015

My 9 year-old granddaughter and 5 year-old grandson had the time of their lives here. She learned to snowboard and he learned to ski. The rates are much better than some of the ritzy slopes and it has a family feel to it. The instructors couldn't have been better. You can pack a picnic lunch or eat at their grill which has decent food. Greasy and not so healthy but ok. One of the days we were there, the music was great, provided by a DJ. Check in is not the most efficient, and patience comes in handy. There was some confusion about sizes of boots and skis for the younger one, but finally found someone who fitted him correctly. Their experience was a positive one, and they look forward to going back again.

Reviewed 11 March 2015

Nice area for skiing when the snow is falling. This is a small resort with not too many green slopes, but for the adventurous you will have many options. There is a small food area and bar at the lodge. The outside deck is a great place to relax and enjoy the view. Overall the price is right with lift tickets being much less costly that other ski resorts in Colorado. This is lovely area that is not well known except for locals.

1  Thank DJ M
Reviewed 4 March 2015

The food is okay but somewhat pricey. But it is fun to sit out on the deck at a picnic table and look at the ski view. If you are hungry the BBQ options hit the spot, the beers are cold. And that is it.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 March 2015 via mobile

I've been at Powderhorn for the last two days. There has been an exceptional amount of new snow, which is great. The terrain leaves a lot to be desired, and the food and drinks are very, very expensive. I paid more for a Coca Cola in Switzerland at a ski resort then I did here at Powderhorn. While I was sitting on the deck with my two dogs and my family, I was approached by an employee who advised me that I would have to leave with my dogs. Dogs are not allowed on the property at all. I'm not sure where you've been, but my kids race and we visit at least 15 different ski areas in the state of Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah every winter for ski races. Never once have my dogs been kicked out of a ski area. My dogs are well behaved and of course always on a tight leash and very friendly, in fact 1 of them is a service dog, with a vest and papers to show that he is a service dog. The gentleman who kicked me out told me that there were no exceptions and that no dogs are welcome at the ski area. I used to think that Powderhorn was a great little family mountain, but now that I know they won't even allow my service dog here, I doubt I will return. I realize that the ski area it has been purchased buy some big names in the ski industry, and I'm guessing that it won't be long before Powderhorn looks just like Vail or Aspen. What a shame.

1  Thank Steven S