“Fun day using their Holiday Special”

Powderhorn Mountain Resort
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

I took 6 kids between 17 and 23 up to ski. 3 of them used the holiday special of $45 for a lift ticket, half day lesson and ski rental. Because there isn’t any snow this winter it was the absolute perfect day. The crowd was lite, the weather was amazing and a great time was had by all. I hope the run the same special next year!!

All reviews
"instructor"
in 7 reviews
"chairlift"

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

Our group had two first time skiers, one beginner, and three regulars. There was an awesome deal for a two hour lesson, lift ticket and rentals for only $45! There wasn’t much snow but it was great for our beginners! Everyone that worked there was very nice and the resort was beautiful.

Reviewed 10 June 2017

Powderhorn is a gem. It's close to Grand Junction (where I call home) and is a quiet local resort with great runs. You won't find the super "wide" runs like you would at Crested Butte but the addition of a high speed quad lift (on the East side) has cut down the ride to the top from 17 minutes to 6 minutes. Shaving 11 minutes off of your travel time to the top means you can get a LOT of ski runs in one day. On average it's easy to ski 15 to 18 runs in a day even with taking a couple of breaks and a leisurely lunch. It's well maintained and easy to get around. I like the old nostalgic 2 person lift on the West side of the resort. Yes, it takes longer to get to the top but the ride is peaceful and has that certain something which quiets the soul. Ride with a good friend or get to know someone--you won't regret it.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

We were married here 20 years ago and stay in the Goldenwoods condos 3-5 weeks per year. The resort has really changed. Tickets are still super over priced but they did just put in a high speed lift that makes it more worth it. They have basic food that is expensive. The Goldenwoods condos are nice for the RCI weekly Last Call price. They're all very outdated but are functional. They do have fireplaces but you need to pay $5/day for wood. Overall it's a very quaint resort that is close to home.

1  Thank JAAKA
See more reviews
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Many years ago, we would fly into Denver Stapleton on an early flight and be on the slopes by midday. Those times and the airport are long gone - as are those life ticket prices - but Grand Junction Airport and Powderhorn Mountain Resort provide a whiff of nostalgia.

Powderhorn is less than 45 minutes from the airport at the Grand Mesa, which is the largest flat-topped mountain in the world and absolutely gorgeous in the summer. But skiing rules in the winter at this little Colorado Gem.

The resort isn't large, but the newish owners have been drizzling in the money to update this former family-owned local hangout. The lodge is larger and nicer than one would expect with a good sized rental facility (including clothes, if needed), gift shop, a large dining room for those bringing their own munchies, and, on the top floor, a cafeteria and bar. The rental shop, cafeteria and bar have all been updated and are top notch for such a small place.

We arrived midday on a Tuesday and received a discount for a half day rental. The equipment was in excellent shape and the employees had us on our way in minutes.

I was hurting so I wasn't skiing this day, although I have skied here in the past. So I checked out the cafeteria and bar. The food offerings are basic, but we were surprised at the quality. Teens french fries were awesome; we didn't leave a crumb. I glanced towards the soup kettles and the cashier advised me to go for it, saying she'd had the soup for lunch and it was good. And it was! Possibly the best soup I've ever had on the slopes and clearly homemade that day. As I was looking for a little pepper sauce on the condiment table, she smiled, dug into her drawer, and handed me some Cholula packets.The bartender was just as friendly. Definitely not the "'tude" that we often get on the Front Range

On to the skiing. There are just 3 lifts, 1 lower beginning and 2 that go to the top. The one closest to the lodge has been upgraded to a decent speed quad, but the further one to the right (west) is still old and very slow, according to my guys. I remember some fun cruiser runs with gorgeous views of the valley that are easily amusing enough for a day of skiing. However, a storm had blown in (we were the last flight able to land) and it was extremely windy. After a couple of hours, it was time to defrost and head down the road to our ultimate destination, Glenwood Springs, just over an hour away.

Would we stop again? Sure. Reasonable prices, friendly staff, no crowds, and terrific views - what's not to like? Well an upgraded 2nd lift would help, but this is a nice stop off for the day.

1  Thank s2mc