“One of Telluride's Best”
Review of La Marmotte

La Marmotte
Reserve with OpenTable
La Marmotte is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 66 Restaurants in Telluride
Price range: US$18 - US$42
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Cozy French Bistro tucked in the heart of Telluride. Private dining room and buyout options available. La Marmotte menu changes nightly depending on what is in season and fresh. Closed Sundays and Wednesday for October 2017
Reviewed 19 August 2017

This restaurant is at The Ice House Hotel. I was alone so I sat at the bar and asked for a bar menu. I ordered a scallop appetizer and steak frites. I had a sav blanc with my appetizer and a Bordeaux with my steak. The food and service was perfect. The bar seating was comfortable. My bill excluding tip was $67.

Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

I've had many recommendations over the years from friends, colleagues, and strangers to try this restaurant so I decided to give it a shot for my birthday. The dining room was full, but the bar was empty. The food was great, but the service was not. Our first round of drinks took 25 min to arrive, and we sat at the table during this time, ready to order, with nothing but water and had to request bread (after 25 min). Our server was not engaged in providing the type of service we expected. It came to the point where my entire party was uncomfortable. The silverware on the table was mismatched and the the appetizer plates took 15-20 min to be bussed away. Every additional drink that was ordered took 10+ min to arrive. It appeared that the front of house staff was more concerned with closing duties than providing any type of fine dining experience. Our server seemed annoyed and inconvenienced to provide simple expectations, which made us wish we had picked a different restaurant. We decided not to order dessert because we just wanted to leave by that point. By the time we left there were only two other tables remaining. As stated above, the food was great, however the service was just really disappointing and embarrassing. Party of 4= $300 before tip. It wasn't worth it.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Perfectly HONEST review with no skewed exaggerations! After researching 30-40 restaurants in Telluride, we decided to make reservations at La Marmotte for our 2nd night in town. After a great time but lackluster meal at Allred's on the first night, we were looking forward to a much better meal here, but was let down again for a couple reasons. First, when we walked in and found 2 seats at their tiny bar, the bartender wasn't the warmest welcoming server of all time, and lacked any smile or enthusiasm to serve us. To her credit though, once WE warmed ourselves up to her, she was a little better, and helped seat us for our dinner. I agree that the ambiance is warm & interesting, but "inviting" it's not. (The "reverse glass" artwork on walls are a turnoff all by themselves with no help from anything else.) The tables are crammed so close together that the servers rear ends are practically in your face when they're serving the adjacent tables, and the people sitting at the next tables can hear everything you say if you don't practically whisper, so be prepared for that. Our server was very nice, but a tad on the slow side, and you could tell that waiting tables was not his life's endeavor. Can't knock him though, he tried. The food was very pricey, every bit as much as Allred's, and for the portions, not a great value. (This is not a place to take the kids!) But at least they gave you a side where Allred's is entirely a la carte. Our meal was very good, just not as "amazing" and "delicious" as other reviews claim, but the quality was definitely better than Allred's. Maybe it's just me??? One last suggestion if you happen to choose to give this place a try.... if it's still on the dessert menu, try their Italian cheesecake and ask that extra [berry] sauce be added. It was extremely good and wish I had ordered it for dinner, too!

Reviewed 7 August 2017

In the past (years ago) this was one of our favorite restaurants in Telluride. Since then it has changed ownership and chefs. All fine dining restaurants in Telluride are pricey and this is no exception. We are from Charleston, SC, where we are fortunate to have some really excellent restaurants, so we do tend to have high standards. The items that we had are not what is shown on the online menus, as they are typically not up to date online. Our waiter was excellent!
At this meal we shared a seared sea scallop appetizer, which was fine, but nothing special. The scallops would have had a better flavor if there had been more of a hard sear on them, which helps bring out the sweetness.
For entrees we had the filet of beef and the duck. The filet had been ordered medium rare. For some reason, they chose to cut the filet in half horizontally, making it into 2 thinner pieces of meat. Since the meat was now thin, they could not get a good hot sear on the outside and still maintain a medium rare temperature, thus it was medium instead. The sauce and side items were good.
The duck was good, but not spectacular. I love duck breast and order it often. I ordered it medium rare, but it was medium. One of the best things about good duck breast is having the skin on top crispy and the underlying fat like butter that melts in your mouth. This duck had a very mildly crispy skin layer. I felt that the currant sauce was quite thin and somewhat watery. The side items (green beans and squash) very close to raw, they were not al dente, with a bit of crispness remaining.
I honestly don't remember the names of our cocktails, they were pricey at $15 each, but were delicious. I also had a glass of very nice chardonnay and he had a burgundy ~ both excellent.
My husband LOVED his dessert of an apple crisp with fig ice cream. I had a fairly run of the mill flourless chocolate cake. (I am gluten free)

So all in all, a good meal, not a great one. If you are NOT a "foodie", you would probably find it to be very good. If you are into the details, you are likely to not be happy with the meal. Or perhaps we got them on an off night. Altho, our last experience there was of a similar nature. So, I don't think we will be returning any time soon. We have a home in Telluride and are here often.

1  Thank endosunshine
Reviewed 30 July 2017

Family group of 10 all enjoyed dinner. Service was a little slow and dessert was way to long in the delivery but the food and wine were good and the ambience, inside, pleasant.