Message from Tripadvisor:Temporarily closed
Review Highlights
Best Vail Activity and FREE!

Reviewed 9 July 2018
KauaiKidd
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
via mobile
Wonderful free daytime one hour snowshoe tour on top of the mountain!

Reviewed 18 January 2018
alex3485
Naples, Florida

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

Just do this. I did the 11 am Nature hike from the top of the Eagle Bahn gondola. You meet at the Nature Discovery Center yurt located next to the upper gondola house. Chloe was my guide on the 50 minute walk. This walk starts with a 10 minute modest uphill hike followed by easy gradual downhill. Spectacular views, very frequent stops for discussion of plants and animals. Intersting, fun, and truly a memorable experience for the whole family. We were joined by Lianna from the US Forest Service who added a lot to the discussion along the way. The one thing you really must do in Vail is actually FREE! Okay, you do have to buy a Gondola ticket, but you're gonna do that anyway. Just time your trip up to coincide with a hike time. Thanks to Chloe and Lianna for sharing their knowledge, spirit, and love of the mountains! Well done.

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 18 January 2018

My husband and I took the one hour daytime snow show tour yesterday on Jan.17th 2018. Our tour guide was Rachel H from MA. She was friendly and informative. There were only about five people in our group and the press was there as well! Vail Daily had a reporter and a camera guy filming us the entire time for their web site and an upcoming article. This activity is great to do for all ages, I learned a lot about the area from a naturalist prospective. We plan to do the evening night time tour in the near future or on our next visit to Vail. Thanks!

Date of experience: January 2018
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

We went on a beautiful hike at dusk, just before sunset. Aaron from Michigan was our guide who taught us about some of the local history, the local flora and shared his love of nature. Terrific way to end a great day in Vail.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank mdrivel
Reviewed 12 April 2017

We went for a free guided snowshoe nature discovery tour in the evening. We loved it.

First, we met in the yurt at the top of the gondola. That's a place worth visiting on its own. You can learn a lot about wild animals of the area. There are samples of tracks and stuffed wild cats. We were able to identify the tracks we saw the day before. The staff is very friendly and helpful and will answer your questions. I think you can visit during the day too.

For the snowshoe tour, they lent us some very nice snowshoes and taught us how to put them on and walk with them. These really hold well on the slope.

The tour lasted about one hour to one hour and a half.

Starting at the top of the gondola, we got amazing views of the sunset on the mountains. That's a view I won't forget soon. Then, we went up and in the trees. The guide made sure we weren't too tired and stopped often. Every stop was an opportunity to learn about the night animals or the plants of these mountains. She was very knowledgeable and would answer any questions we might ask.

It made me want to go on a longer guided tour.

Date of experience: December 2016