“What is wrong with them? Nothing, they're just a great value!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Danbury
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Danbury
Reviewed 23 January 2011

Before returning to the busy NYC area with high hotel prices for our flight home, we wanted to spend one final night outside the city, were hotels are more affordable. Coming down the Hudson River valley we picked this LQ based on ratings - and price! Looking at the reservation system at the time of writing, the price has increased to a "good" LQ price (under 90$) given that the hotel is new - at the time of our stay it was way below that and very attractive. Since it was affordable and we still had to re-pack our luggage we even chose a mini-suite, which was still very cheap.
Before I talk about the hotel experience, let me start with the same complaint all the other guests had: finding it. We were coming from the west on I-84 using a GPS device - we were led somewhere to the south of the interstate, but definitely nowhere near the hotel. We drove around a little until we finally found it on the north side of the interstate, sitting on top of the hill. Knowing where it is makes it easy, but looking for it - well - its a jungle of roads and intersections and definitely needs practice. We had to look for the parking spaces, there is a small lot right in front of the building and to its side, but it was full - solution: go around the building, there is more parking near the restaurant.
The LQ is a very large property, maybe this explains the varying prices, they have a lot of rooms to fill, I don't know why anyone would build so many rooms out here. It is directly linked with an Outback Steakhouse. When we entered the lobby we felt a little lost, it is really huge - not the most comfortable atmosphere, it felt a little sterile due to bright lights and everything. Entering you will be facing a large breakfast area (that we didn't get to try due to timing constraints). It all looks very modern and high-tech. The front desk advised us that we would get a free appetizer at the restaurant next door.
Walking to our room the impression stuck around, the place is new and well maintained, but it lacks some of the cozyness of other hotels. Our mini-suite was well equipped with refrigerator, microwave, flatscreen TV - all furniture was up to the latest LQ standards. However, in other franchise buildings I have seen better room layouts with a separating wall or something. Our room was more like "any idea on how to put in the furniture?": bed and sofa+table against the wall on the right side, all technical equipment, cabinets, sideboards, TV, desk in one straight line on the left wall, floorspace in between. Again, empty, cool, not too cozy. Room and bathroom were clean, nothing to complain about. We had a good night's sleep even though our room was facing the highway - since you're on top of a hill, apparently street noise won't get to you.
Overall we had a very pleasant stay at a great price. We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel. The atmosphere has room for improvement.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aRTie81

Reviewed 6 December 2010

I have business in the area and have stayed at many of the hotels and motels in the Danbury area. La Quinta is clean, new, relatively inexpensive, and the staff is helpful and welcoming. I agree that Yolanda in the breakfast room is great---friendly and helpful. I went to the Outback next door because the weather was bad and had a full meal (with free appetizer because I stayed at La Quinta) and drink for $12.00. I guess it's difficult to find the turnoff because it is at a roundabout at I-84, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure it out and once you find it, it's easy. Because of the location, it is very easy to access the highway and the stores nearby. It's also about 10 minutes from the Danbury mall. And even though it is near the highway, it is very quiet.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Senoritagringa
Reviewed 2 December 2010

Much much much to say about this hotel. I will start with on my way in I had gotten a little lost. I then pulled over rapidly so I could call the hotel myself and get directions from the staff. This was the best idea, as soon as i stated my location or places around me the front desk talked me through every step of directions to get to them. They seemed as if they really truly cared about me not only as a guest but as another human. I soon as i wrote all the directions down i was about to hang up the phone when the front desk agent stated she was going to stay on the phone with me until I saw the hotel. Wonderful help
CHECK-IN: was outstanding, very resourceful. Not only was the front desk knowledgeable of their property but they truly "owned it". I did not meet one single staff member that was ever in doubt of anything about their property. They had much confidence in their product.
SLEEP: really went well, actually it was incredible ! The room was fantastic, the beds were to MY understanding were very relaxful and enjoyable. I was reading other reviews and MUST point it out the beds are with out a doubt, comfortable. The room had nice lighting an I LOVED the placement of the micro and refridgerator (placed in a cabinet of to the side once entering the room, they were not out in the open). The closet was large, dressers were spacious enough for all of my clothing.
BREAKFAST: even though this is a "continental breakfast buffet" it had plenty of options and also had a waffle machine to make your own waffles. The little breakfast woman working is so helpful it blew me away. She had to of been thee kindess person I have ever encounterd in my life.
HOUSEKEEPING: the housekeepers were very cleanly. The was consitancy every day when I arrived back to the hotel. Towels, refreshed, soaps,renewed,sheets,changed,bed,made and the coffee pot was even refilled everyday!
MAINTENANCE: I honeslty have to say throughout my stay I had one issue that I reported. ( the t.v. was unplugged an I didnt know) Within not even 3 min. I had a gentleman at my door already solving the issue.
The managers, Scott & Vickie were always greeting me with a smile an ALWAYS made sure my staff was fit to my needs. I definetly enjoyed speaking with both of them, they would relate to me and understood me. Above all I did recognize the fact that this hotel really is a team. To the front desk staff assisting with clean up during breakfast, even Vickie I noticed helped out with the breakfast, to Scott I would see go upstairs with plungers with out any hesitation of fixing another guest issue himself and finally the humor and smiles they ALL have.
In conclusion, not only did the hotel blow me away but the LA Quinta Team REALLY made my travels fantastic ! If you ever are debating what hotel to choose in Danbury i would choose this hotel. I hope this helped with your travel to the area.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank evaglam
Reviewed 14 November 2010

The location was good but difficult to find and one two many hurdles to jump (i.e. traffic circles and akward travel lanes) to finally get there. That's where anything positive ends. The staff had their heads in the clouds and when they were focused, they were rude. My phone didn't work and I was there on business and they did NOTHING to accomodate me. The bathroom had a film on the floor that seemed to me to be undiluted cleaning agent. Too many stray hairs for my liking; the staff doesn't clean as well as they could. The beds were the hardest I've ever stayed in the area....I'm assuming that's a vendor issue. I was given a coupon for outback steakhouse which is attached to the hotel and I was given a hard time by the outback staff toward the coupon I was given by La Quinta. The entire stay caused me more work than my intended stay of business. I will not stay at the La Quinta Inn again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Eggsontoast
Reviewed 11 November 2010

While visiting family in the area I spent 5 nights at La Quinta Inn in Danbury. To find the hotel is not easy but if you follow the signs back to 84 West after leaving it at Exit 8, that is were the hotel is located, next to a Mobil gas station. The hotel is brand new. The room was clean, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom spacious. I loved the recliner. The breakfast is on the House, do not expect a gourmet one, but there are several places in the neighborhood where you can get a fluffy omlette or a fruit salad if you prefer these to bagels or muffins. I would not only recommend it to anyone but will surely come back myself in the future.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo