“One star would be too many”

Rodeway Inn & Suites
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in East Windsor
Reviewed 31 August 2017

This review is repeating what others have said, but this hotel is deplorable. I also booked a Priceline Express Deal and figured a 2.5 star hotel (similar to Hampton Inn or Holiday Inn Express) would be sufficient for a night's sleep and morning shower before continuing my journey. What I got was NOTHING like what I expected and I regret not just sleeping in my car at the airport parking lot.

Here are a few of the reasons why YOU MUST AVOID THIS HOTEL:
1. Hallways reek of cigarette and marijuana smoke.
2. Hallway carpets suggest a recent history that involves substantial bodily fluids being spilled - urine, vomit, etc. Large bleach stains made me think the hallways could be recent crime scenes.
3. The rooms have not seen a thorough cleaning in an arrestingly long time. The corners of my room had dust so thick you could lose small objects in it.
4. Mold in the bathroom had engulfed the shower pan and had established a robust colony on the walls, creating black splotches that made me fearful to go near.
5. The bar on the main floor is not quiet. I can live with that, but the rooms on the first floor are not in any way secured from the bar creating security and privacy concerns.
6. Furnishings and fixtures in the room are worn, damaged, and in some cases literally falling off the wall. If I took a towel off the rack the whole thing fell onto the floor. Every time.
7. The room had a musty, moldy smell.
8. The door room was not plumb. This allowed hallway noises/light/smells to enter the room and gave me concerns for our safety should somebody decide to try to enter the room.

I recognize that I don't like to spend a lot on hotel rooms and so I've stayed in some sub-optimal places before, but this place is truthfully the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. TripAdvisor includes numerous bad reviews, and the "hotel manger" responds to many with promises to make things better, but clearly improvements are not forthcoming and the hotel continues to sell these abysmal rooms shamelessly. Priceline's Express Deals makes it impossible to know if this hotel is the one you'll get until it is too late, so I can truthfully say I will never use that service again after this experience.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 11 September 2017

Thank you for responding to our survey. I can only apologize for your stay being so disappointing. I have alerted the entire staff of your complaints and can assure you this will not be an issue again. We are working hard to fix all the problems that occurred during your stay. I hope you will give us the opportunity to show you a much more pleasant stay in the future.

Reviewed 24 August 2017

The hotel desk staff was great! The room was worn but it was spacious and clean as was the bed. The price was right and I got a veteran discount. A good place to stop for a nights sleep. The breakfast was a full breakfast of eggs and sausage and all the continental pastries and fruit. A good buy for the money. Convenient to route 91 and a lot cheaper than nearby hotels.

Room Tip: If one does not like a room ask for another, the staff is very good.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
rodewayinnbradleyair, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Dear Guest,

I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I’m very pleased we were able to make your stay especially pleasant with our great service. We look forward to serving you again soon. Nothing is more important to us than providing the best possible guest experience to every guest.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2017

Booked through deal express in Priceline, the list was showing 3 star *** good hotels names, but when it confirmed first time heard of hotel name not even in their list was showing to us. however we went to hotel Roadway In and Suite, Windsor lock, CT. checked in and check-out in 15mins found one of the worst hotel in my life. even you can't compare with single * start Hotel. Finally called priceline to refund at least some partial amount they refused. I challenged them to visit the place and I can cover their all expense to prove what kind of Hotel it is, if they satisfied with stay I will be willing to loose my money ,if not let refund my Money. but horrible customer service line disconnected my phone line. I wanted to SUE the priceline, they are robbing consumers, how we can avoid other citizens money from these kind of traps scams from Priceline. Can any one help.

Room Tip: Don't chose ever this Hotel with this address mentioned, unless you want to loose money
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank nayeem2017
rodewayinnbradleyair, Webmaster at Rodeway Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the comment. I ’m very sorry that we failed you when so many others are so satisfied. I apologize for any ways we let you down. Your reviews was shared with the management and instructed to take necessary step to solve the issue. We’re always working to make the experience here better than ever before.

Hotel Manager

Reviewed 29 July 2017

My husband needed a room by the airport because his flight was leaving very early. I booked via priceline because it said I could get this hotel, which priceline says is 3 stars for the same price as a 1 star motel. BIG MISTAKE.
My husband is not picky. He only wanted a clean room and a shower and was going to be gone by 6am for his flight. He said the smell was horrible, the worst smell of he life. He went back out to his car and didn't want to go back in. He went back in to see the room, maybe it would not smell? The key did not work and finally he got into the room, the smell was still there but he thought it was just 6 hours so he could deal with it since priceline wont refund money. He got up and no hot water. so he could not shower. He smelled so bad , even after a delayed 10 hour flight home, all his clothes and bags smelled. Saddest part was our kids put 2 stuffed animals for dad to carry for luck and they smelled so bad and we cant get the smell out. I cant tell you how bad the smell is, but my husband left CT, travelled by 5 planes (a great day the airline had 3 planes break down), and a day later 2300 miles away I can still smell the hotel after showers, throwing out clothes, never have I smelt anything this bad and I have traveled the world.
Priceline would do nothing. The hotel didn't care or help.
If you use priceline and see a 3 star express deal in east Windsor, don't take it. There is a red roof inn, nothing fancy but clean and no smell close for the same price.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 31 July 2017

Thank you for responding to our survey. We apologize for an inconvenience you may have encountered. We work hard to ensure our guests have a pleasant stay and we are sorry to hear you did not. Please allow us in the future to show you a more satisfying stay. Once again, I apologize for your unpleasant experience.

Reviewed 19 July 2017 via mobile

Okay I understand the concept of "you get what you pay". But having go frequently travel for business, I have seen many upon many cheap motels and hotels. Most offer basic amenities and a clean room which is all I require.

This particular place.. just seedy from the moment you pull into it's grassy overgrown parking lot where people are wandering around smoking and drinking. Not sure how sober anyone wandering about was. I had to slam my breaks on in the parking lot for a woman who was pulling out of a spot taking a left hand turn into my front end. Turns out she was just parking.. crooked and half way out of her spot into the driving lane. She was heading for the bar.

Checking in was fine, the lobby is fairly nice leaving a glimmer of hope the room would be okay....staff is nice too which is great. Once I made my way upstairs, my hope disappeared. The smell of old food, marijuana, and cigarettes was pungent. Dog barking could be heard from inside the rooms. Taking a close look around, nearly everything was in disrepair. Even simple low cost repairs and cleaning seem to be overlooked-cracked busted door handles, dirty windows, broken plates on electrical switches and outlets

The room itself was outwardly fine at first. Upon closer inspection, there was very ill repaired water damage on the ceiling from above. It was black, looked almost moldy, and it sagged at certain parts. Walking through the door, there appeared be blood stains on the carpet. Two of the light switches in the room didn't work. I inspected the bed out of habit... glad I did. I found a couple of brown specks on the sheets that resembled mice or roach feces. I had a spare sheet in my car so I threw if down to sleep on. The blanket provided had cigarette burns all over it so I just slept blanketless. The mattress wasn't bad which was good!

The roach suspicion was confirmed in the middle of the night when I got up to use the bathroom. I saw two quarter sized roach/beetly looking bugs scurry across the floor. I didn't have my contacts in so I couldn't get a good look. Wish I had snapped a picture but I was panicked and half asleep. I leapt up, attempted to exit the bathroom, got locked in because the bathroom door is busted, but thankfully figured out how to get out. When I finally got out I ran back to bed as to not step on the floor. I ended up packing up and leaving soon after, glad my stay was over.

I read the reviews on this page and while many are good, many are on par with my experience. Management seems to be pretty responsive to these posts which is great but is anything actually truly being done to remedy these issues? The 3 star rating is a long shot. This is not on the same level as a Holiday Inn. Maybe the former Clarion would garner that many stars but this place falls short. This could be a wonderful little place to stay IF even some small amount of effort was made to give the grounds and rooms a little TLC- and not wide screen TVs, large cable package, and luxury product type of TLC.. I mean basic painting, cleaning, and making even the small repairs that could make this place decent. Simple stuff! It'll be worth the expense just in more positive reviews!

People paying your rates aren't expecting a Hilton but there is certainly an expectation of basic cleanliness and safety. Make the simple repairs and changes and you guys could be doing great!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 20 July 2017

Thank you for responding to the survey. I am sorry you found your stay less than pleasant, I have already addressed your issues and concerns and we are working hard to ensure each and every guest will be pleased with their stay. I hope you will give us the opportunity to afford you a more pleasant stay in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near East Windsor
4.9 km away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bradley Airport
4.8 km away
Days Inn Windsor Locks - Bradley International Airport

Been to Rodeway Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!