“what a gem”

Thu, 24/06
20:00
Ranked #4 of 17 Restaurants in Ripley
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We downright adore this cosy cottage restaurant in the Surrey village of Ripley, which was originally built in the 16th century. After surviving former lives as a dwelling and an antique shop selling Toby jugs, the Toby Cottage Restaurant was converted to a restaurant in 1979 and has been pleasing local gourmands ever since. The penultimate romantic restaurant, Toby Cottage is perfect for celebrations and family occasions and has original oak beams, a cocktail bar perfect for sneaky aperitifs, and a sensational wine list to compliment its English/Continental menu. Don't miss the smoked duck breast with mango chutney; the deep fried Brie with cranberry sauce; and the classic beef Wellington with mushrooms, pate and Burgundy sauce.
Reviewed 19 December 2020

visited for lunch yesterday with a friend. Food and service excellent - Tiramasu one of the best I've ever tasted.

First visit and we will return

2  Thank Margaret H
Write a reviewReviews (496)

Reviewed 11 December 2020 via mobile

Wow ..!
This restaurant is the very best .
I have just moved in to the Ripley Village and always wanted a good restaurant within walking distance and I never believe I would be lucky enough to have the best !!
I had the beef Wellington on Toni’s recommendation and cannot wait to have it again .
Thank you Toby Cottage and I will see you again very soon.

4  Thank 321seanbb
Reviewed 5 December 2020

This place is old-fashioned, not in a dated or tired way but in a way that is has a traditional style and attitude. The staff are exceptionally warm and welcoming, even it is for a first visit, and the main dining area (although a bit low in headroom!) isn't too stuffy but smart. We tried the festive menu and the food was great, the right size and tasty. The restaurant has a dessert trolley (long time since I've seen one of them!) which was also very welcomed! A very pleasant evening indeed.

3  Thank CWoof93
Reviewed 28 November 2020

This was our second visit to this restaurant in 2020 and it was very good . On arrival you are treated as a special customer even though we are not regulars. We had a nice table at the end of the restaurant.

The meal was delicious. We started with scallops which are always favourite of ours.

My Beef Wellington and my wife's venison main corses were superb and very filling in my case. This was rounded off nicely by a plentiful choice from the sweet trolley.

We certainly hope to return in 2021 for another special occasion.

Date of visit: November 2020
3  Thank Ge0n
Reviewed 4 October 2020 via mobile

Amazing place, amazing service and amazing food! If your undecided on going then go here! The guys that work here are amazing, they are accommodating/ friendly and on hand to help whatever you want! I’m not from ripley but these little gems are very hard to find in this day an age, yes it may not be modern decor but the flavours make up for it. Thank you very much to all of the team you made our Sunday afternoon much better!

Date of visit: October 2020