“Lovely Restaurant!”

Fri, 17/09
20:00
Ranked #3 of 17 Restaurants in Ripley
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: We downright adore this cosy cottage restaurant in the Surrey village of Ripley, which was originally built in the 16th century. After surviving former lives as a dwelling and an antique shop selling Toby jugs, the Toby Cottage Restaurant was converted to a restaurant in 1979 and has been pleasing local gourmands ever since. The penultimate romantic restaurant, Toby Cottage is perfect for celebrations and family occasions and has original oak beams, a cocktail bar perfect for sneaky aperitifs, and a sensational wine list to compliment its English/Continental menu. Don't miss the smoked duck breast with mango chutney; the deep fried Brie with cranberry sauce; and the classic beef Wellington with mushrooms, pate and Burgundy sauce.
Reviewed 21 July 2021 via mobile

We were staying at a nearby hotel where we were disappointed with the food and really wish we had known about this restaurant sooner. What great service and delicious quality food we had. So much on the menu and lovely dessert trolley, again with lots of choice. Would definitely return if we ever go back to Ripley. Highly recommended. A nice birthday meal with the waiters all singing happy birthday to me

Date of visit: July 2021
Write a reviewReviews (523)

Reviewed 20 July 2021

First time eating here and it will not be the last. Honest restaurant which was clean and tidy with good service. The food all 5 of us had we all really enjoyed, it was nice to see a menu which had some good solid options which you do not seem to see nowadays. They offered a bread basket selection with freshly baked bread which was still hot !! Lovely ! Everyone had a starter I had the calamari which was fresh and came with a very tasty harrisa mayonnaise. We had a choice of daily specials which I like. The veal chop cooked with butter and sage was excellent. We had cauliflower in a cheese sauce browned on top I could have eaten all of it myself just delicious. Mange tout and spinach with saute potatoes. Yes, there is a sweet trolley how wonderful I can see just what I am going to get, again very good. I really do look forward to our return.

Reviewed 16 July 2021

How funny to read the last review '1970 throwback' it seems the reviewer missed the point and the charm of this wonderful restaurant. Lovely old building with low beamed ceiling, for us the original sweet and drinks trolleys were simply charming and added to the experience. The menu was extensive with a choice of set menu or a la carte. All six of chose from the a la carte and enjoyed every course, the best food we have had for a while, so good we immediately booked in again. The team were amazing, so helpful and kept the drinks flowing. We had a thoroughly good time and look forward to retuning.

1  Thank midgoBexi
Reviewed 9 July 2021

It felt like we had stepped back in time, very dated decor, music that was really annoying, a sweet trolley and chocolates with the bill! To be honest the menu was huge, overpriced, save for the set menu, and very mediocre...We would not return.

Reviewed 24 June 2021 via mobile

Nice atmosphere but disappointing service
I visited the Toby Cottage with my wife
We ordered from the AlaCarte menu I selected “salt n pepper “ calamari
This arrived as plain deep fried calamari with absolutely No seasoning and swimming in oil
Our main course was duck which according to their website came with mange tout peas I was very disappointed to find that I’d been charged £5 for the mange tout peas
If you’re going to publish the menu online then please, please let the chef know so that when the dishes arrive they are what has been advertised.
Overall a nice evening as pool by the food

Date of visit: May 2021