“Thanks for making it right!”
Review of Dish Bar and Grill

Dish Bar and Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Dish Bar and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 484 Restaurants in Hartford
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Pratt Street
Description: Dish Bar & Grill serves the finest farm to table American cuisine. Join us for a quick bite to eat for lunch, a relaxing dinner in our Modern dining room or dine casually in our bar with variety of burgers and happy hour specials.
Reviewed 14 May 2018

I wrote an earlier review about an unfortunate dining experience. The manager contacted me and was very courteous and apologetic and offered to help make it right. We revisited the restaurant recently. This time, we tried the happy hour (actually an early dinner) and also ordered from the menu as I’ve been dying to try the lamb burger. The lamb burger was quite good and cooked to order and it came with their delicious potato chips. If you love homemade potato chips you’ll love these. The chips alone are worth a trip! The fries my husband ordered were also good with some cheese sprinkled on top. I Got a couple of oysters, which were good-sized and briny. My husband got the taquitos - I had a bit and they were tasty. The buffalo wings had a nice hot sauce. Ideally, should toss the wings in the sauce so they are fully coated rather than pouring the sauce on top, but not a problem, they were good. The only thing that could have been better was the blue cheese dip that accompanied the wings. It was nice and blue cheesy when I took a sip but it was very thin and ran off of the wings. I had to wait for it to finish dripping before I could bring it back to my plate. In any event, the manager was very, very nice and made it clear that he does care about his customers so I wanted to re-review. Servers were both very friendly. Thanks!

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Stopped in after work recently with my husband for dinner. Husband doesn’t eat beef, and menu was limited. He had his eye on either a turkey or lamb burger, but these were only being served at the bar. There was a huge, noisy crowd at the bar and I wanted a relaxing steak dinner. We did not want to eat an expensive meal in that raucous environment. At first, the manager said sure, that wouldn’t be a problem. But after conferring with someone else came back and said my husband would have to order from the regular menu. So, ok, we weren’t happy, but fine. The homemade chips appetizer was good. We were not thrilled with the entrees. The baked potatoes looked like they were days old and reheated. They were like hockey pucks, hard, dry and over cooked. Had to ask for sour cream. The asparagus was covered with greasy butter. The steak was technically done to order. But when you spend $45 for a steak and have to spend extra just to get a bit of greenery or a side you think they would at least make some attempt to garnish the plate and make it look attractive. No. It was a hunk of meat with a hockey puck potato. Husband’s salmon was good, he said. The servers were friendly and asked if we wanted new potatoes or a dessert, but frankly, nothing that came out of that kitchen was going to help. Way overpriced and not worth it. There are better places to eat. They make a big show of appearing to care about you and your food but we really felt like all they really cared about was taking our money.

Date of visit: March 2018
William C, Owner at Dish Bar and Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

I am very sorry to hear about your experience. As a rule we serve our bar menu only in the bar area. If you were told that you could order off it in the dining room, that offer should not have been rescinded. As for the baked potato, there is no excuse for that and I will confer with our chefs as to why that happened. I would like to make this experience up to you so if you could contact me at bcarbone@dishbarandgrill.com at your earliest convenience I would appreciate it. I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 7 March 2018

My parents and I came here for dinner before going to see a play at The Hartford Stage. The food was delicious and we had great service! My mom and I both have Celiac Disease, and while there was not a designated gluten-free menu the waiter was very knowledgeable and there were plenty of entrees to eat. My mom had chicken and my father and I both had burgers (mine came out on a gluten free roll). And the creme brûlée we had for dessert was done perfectly. The menu is very pricey, particularly for entrees, but the flavors in our food were so fantastic (yes even in the burger) that the price is worth it! We will definitely come back here the next time we see a play...highly recommend!

PS For the fellow celiacs, neither my mom nor I got sick from the food.

Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

The place has a nice ambiance and very attractive decor. The food was good we had calamari which were a little undercooked for my liking, French toast was huge and tasty but I wish they added some fresh fruit to go along with it. Turkey club was huge as well and pretty good if the bread wasn’t burned and avocado was not turning black, sweet potato fries were excellent. The staff was great. Overall a good experience.

1  Thank mgwis
Reviewed 10 February 2018 via mobile

Pricey, but worth it. Found my new favorite pink champagne there. Cool casual environment. Filet was perfectly cooked

Date of visit: January 2018