“Plan Backwards!”
Review of Max Downtown

Max Downtown
Reserve with OpenTable
Max Downtown is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 451 Restaurants in Hartford
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Trumbull Street
Description: The crown jewel of the Hartford, Connecticut dining scene, Max Downtown has been serving its guests for over 21 years and remains a fan favorite. After a top-to-bottom renovation in the summer of 2017, the restaurant has never looked (or tasted) better.
Reviewed 14 July 2018

So Max Downtown is a super steakhouse. Never a bad meal, breathtaking sides, and a world-class wine list. The desserts don't get enough credit.

After a lovely meal (which I'll attend to later) my wife and I tried the Salted Caramel Baked Alaska.The confection came out with perfectly browned swirls of meringue and tempting drizzles of chocolate syrup. Inside, a lovely ball of ice cream surrounded a generous, gooey heart of caramel. All this atop a chocolate crumb base. Big enough for two to split, without a territorial fight.

The main meal? My wife ordered the 9-ounce hanger steak. Perfectly done, with a generous helping of grilled brussels sprouts substituted for fries and a fine taste of fresh salad. She took home enough for the next day's dinner.

My 10-ounce chunk of halibut came perfectly grilled, moist and tender inside. It over a perfectly lemoned combination of barley, beans, and other vegetable goodies. The excellent halibut got overshadowed by the "side."

Our waiter was nicely attentive but not hovering, and the complimentary parking had our car ready as we exited the restaurant. We tipped the attendant basically the cost of a parking garage nearby--and had zero walk to the car.

Yeah, Max Downtown is pricey. It's a bargain, considering the quality of food, the care and precision of service, and the total convenience.

We'll be back soon, perhaps with help to share the costly 40-ounce signature steak, a plethora of outstanding sides, and a couple of baked Alaskas.

Reviewed 10 July 2018

We've taken the family on a number of occasions for a Saturday lunch and always have a lovely time. Great Nicoise salad.
Also nice for dinner...great steaks!

Reviewed 10 July 2018 via mobile

What can I say? I dined here recently with my ex-husband and two teenagers, yes my ex-husband and we had an enjoyable experience. Yes the food is above average in price but it is also well above average in quality, Preparation, presentation and flavor. Excellent, professional-bordering-on-uptight server but will be back again.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

I have eaten here once per year for the past few years. The service always is quite attentive and the menu is extensive. However, the prices have become quite expensive, more so each year. If you are trying to lose weight, this is NOT the place for you. Offers valet parking but I always have found street parking nearby, free after 6:00 PM and on weekends.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

Attended a small party last weekend, the service was impeccable and the food went beyond expectations as we consider Max Downtown to be one of the best; it is the Best! The room we were in had a great atmosphere, no complaints!