“Just Wow”
Review of The Capital Grille

The Capital Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 479 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Located in the newly invigorated waterfront section of Hartford Connecticut, the grand
building with the formal entrance had me at hello. Just its location, in a town which needs to reinvent itself and find reasons for people to come visit, made me want to love it. I was attending a formal conference in one of the meeting rooms for my introduction to this marvelous restaurant. First off, the staff, from the greeters to the maitre d’s to the waitstaff were superb. I was greeted with the pre-set wall of hors d’oeuvres to start – – possibly the best steak tartare with toast points that I’ve ever had! This was followed closely by a large iced tray of seafood with accompanying dipping sauces, followed by crabcakes and lobster cakes.I still am unable to choose which I like the best – – it was all perfectly prepared, beautifully served, and beyond delicious. Not that I had a lot of room left, but my entrée, a medium rare to rare New York strip steak with a butter sauce, needed to be sampled, and although I left enough to take home, it was outrageously delicious. The best part, it was cooked just the way I liked it! My companions dug into their fillet mignon rubbed with Porcini mushrooms and wine reduction sauce— described as melting like butter in their mouths! The sides , potatoes au gratin, mushrooms and brussels sprouts were served family style for the table— I only had room to try the potatoes which were so outrageously good I had more even though I really didn’t have the room! Finally the desert, which again there was no room for but had to be tasted merely on site. I had the cheesecake with graham crust and a Brulé topping with berries on the side. I sincerely could’ve bathed in it.
Can’t wait to go back to be part of the buzzing, packed to the gills main dining room

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Not every item came out of the kitchen as ordered so keep an eye on that -- it and the pumpkin spice candle assaulting my senses as I entered are the only reasons I knocked my rating down a star. Everything was delicious, regardless. The cocktails were perfectly made. Steak, crab cakes, salads. Can't go wrong. Don't expect it to be cheap, but the service and quality are up to par with the price.

Reviewed 5 October 2018 via mobile

I’ve heard of the famous Capital Grille in various locations for years. My husband has been on several business occasions and it never disappoints. Tonight I had my first experience at the CG in Hartford. It was every bit as wonderful and delicious as I was hoping for. The service was outstanding. It’s worth the price for sure!

Reviewed 2 October 2018

Everything was so accommodating! We had our own private room. The staff that helped us were wonderful, and very patient. I enjoyed both of my drinks You gave me my first mojito, it changed my life!

1  Thank Samantha G
Reviewed 2 September 2018

Five of us were here for a special family dinner. The manager, David, went above and beyond: he remembered us from our previous visit, and made sure we were happy with our table. Our server, Martha, was outstanding. Personable yet professional. And the food, as always, was excellent. This is our go-to restaurant for special occasions, and next time I will request Martha as our server.