“Excellent Chinese food with sass”
Review of Saigon Kitchen

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Saigon Kitchen
Ranked #111 of 444 Restaurants in Hartford
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 2 December 2016

I must confess that I am addicted to the Sesame Chicken at Saigon Kitchen. Seriously. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something in it that gives me cravings. I have been a customer since they first opened around 1985, and when I worked in Hartford I ate at this place every single day. Now that I don't work in Hartford, I still try to get in for lunch at least once a month.

Earlier this year, I promised myself I would never go back after getting yelled at. There was a little bit of sesame chicken available, but not enough for a whole order. There was a little bit of General Tso's available, but not enough for a whole order. Since I was in a rush, and didn't want to wait for the next batch of food to be cooked, I asked if they could just give me a combination plate. Based on the reaction I got, you would have thought I had just insulted her mother. I tried kidding her about her inflexibility, which only made the shouting louder.

I broke down on my promise by the way. I went back the next month.

1  Thank BradHurley

Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

I have not been to Saigon Kitchen in a while. The hot and spicy chicken was great. Service was fast too. They are still cash only, so be prepared. There are a few banks on Main Street.

Reviewed 9 July 2016

I have been an occasional customer for 20 years. Feed is well prepared, tasty, fast and reasonable. The owner husband and wife team have a Soup Nazi cachet and it is part of what makes this place unique.

Reviewed 13 September 2015

I've been going to this restaurant since they opened many years ago, and they have had several locations in downtown Hartford. At lunch time they have a small portion as well as a normal portion. I really like the hot and spicy chicken with fried rice. You place your order at the counter. Sometimes there is a line, but it goes fast as the cook is making large portions of their various dishes which then get brought up front. The owner works the register, and yes at times she may seem a bit gruff. She certainly knows who has been coming there for years and if you havent been there in a while she will comment and ask you where you have been. There are tables so you can eat there, i always get it to go. I have never had a troublesome meal.

Reviewed 5 September 2015

Recently food this place.... awesome food. There's place to sit down & eat by I've been there three times but also for takeout. Excellent good... some of the best Chinese I've eaten. Very popular at lunch.