“Disappointing after 8 years”

Tavern at the Armory
Ranked #19 of 160 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: American
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

We've been coming here for at least 8 years and have often stayed at the Inn. We've always enjoyed the food and ambiance. This year it was terrible. The chowder was yellow thick and favorless goop with no clams at all. Not etible! We were so disapponted. The sliders were terrible as well. The bun fell apart because it was frozen and tasteless and the Angus beef was laughable. No flavor. Not dry. But just nothing. Whatever has happened to change the quality of the food needs to be resolved. The menu is exactly the same but the quality of the food really sucks. Please fix it we want to come back!

InnatMiddletown, Gary Nagler:General Manager at Tavern at the Armory, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

Thank you for sharing this with me as I am so sorry and disappointed that a long time customer had to experience what you did during your recent visit to the Tavern. We have made some changes however it should not affect food quality at all. I will be addressing these concerns with my team and you can be sure we will rectify it.

Reviewed 6 November 2016

Ordered food and drink at this restaurant. Drinks arrived which were incorrect but this was soon sorted. The food was really good. The bill arrived and an extra item had been put onto it and the wine that r placed the incorrect drink was the more expensive one! Wine was good but the cheaper one had been ordered. The bill was corrected. But check you bill if you eat there.

InnatMiddletown, Gary Nagler: General Manager at Tavern at the Armory, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Thank you for bringing your dining experience to our attention. This appears to be an example of overall sloppy service which we do not condone. This will be addressed as it is not the way we want to be perceived. We pride ourselves on great food and service and I am sorry that you only received half of that.

Reviewed 27 October 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stumbled into this tavern for a quick lunch, however it turned out to be an awesome place. Staff personality was second to none. Food was tasty, atmosphere was extremely relaxing. Can't wait for our next visit.

2  Thank AckeeTree
InnatMiddletown, Gary Nagler: General Manager at Tavern at the Armory, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2016

GREAT to hear that you enjoyed your lunch at the Tavern. We are not your typical hotel restaurant as our atmosphere and service are second to none. And the food is great also!!!!!. make sure you come back soon as we are firing up the fireplaces for the winter.

Reviewed 14 October 2016 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner with some friends last night. The restaurant was offering a 3 course dinner for $23.95. It's a special from Sunday to Thursday. Since I needed a gluten free meal, our server Kim, worked with the chef to modify some of the menu items to make them gluten free. She really worked to help meet my needs.
Everyone in our party enjoyed their meals. The atmosphere was wonderful too. I highly recommend this restaurant.

InnatMiddletown, Gary Nagler:General Manager at Tavern at the Armory, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

Thank you for dining at the Tavern at the Armory. You took advantage of our fall pre fixed menu that we are offering through October and November and I am glad to hear you enjoyed it. It has been received very well by our customers.

Reviewed 3 October 2016

Had dinner here on a Monday evening and sat in their booth. All food was well prepared, fresh and nicely presented. Had the sea scallops and crab cakes for appetizer. Crab cakes were especially tasty. Salmon for dinner, also excellent. Dessert was a key lime tart which looked lovely and tasted as good as it looked. Waitress was personable and attentive. Some interesting cocktails - a cucumber cosmo was refreshing and potent.

2  Thank Grace O
InnatMiddletown, Gary Nagler :General Manager at Tavern at the Armory, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Thank you for sharing your experience with us as I am so pleased that you had a nice time at the tavern. As the weather gets a bit cooler come back and enjoy fireside dining as it will make you warm and cozy!!!! Thanks again for the kind words.