“Better than average Italian but pricey”

Esca Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #19 of 167 Restaurants in Middletown
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 June 2018

Although the food was better than a typical Italian restaurant, there were some issues. The flat bread and salads came with too much greens. My soup was delivered without a spoon, otherwise the service was fine. The wines were fine and reasonably priced. The tiramisu was not traditional, just ok. Overall the prices were high.

Date of visit: June 2018

Reviewed 1 April 2018

I had the pleasure to go here for dinner with some friends, and it was awesome. We ordered wine flights, mussels, the cheese plate, martinis, and our entrees. Everything was so good. I think I had the blood orange martini and it was amazing. 100% recommend. Our server was awesome too, considering it took us SO LONG to order, and we felt bad. Can't wait to come back and try something else!

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

This is a wonderful place in the center of Middletown. We had the Grilled Octopus app which was outstanding. Highlly recommend it. Also, the Mussels appetizer was very good. My wife had the Blackened Se Bass, similar to cod. The only issue with it was that the skin was still on, but. it was very good. We also had the Veal Saltimbocca which was very good. Wonderful selection of wines and our bourbon cocktails were nicely made.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 3 March 2018

We went here for my birthday. We ordered two appetizers calamari and the fondue. The calamari was very good, the fondue was good but didn't need the "salad" on top it didn't really go. Also there needed to be more food than just four small pieces of bread to dip into the fondue, we saved it through our meal, but it would have been a waste if we didn't. We each ordered an entree with some sort of seafood in it. I had the clams with linguini. The one large drawback was I had asked for very light on the garlic and I got the exact opposite. Huge amounts of garlic. Our waiter was very busy and didn't come back for quite sometime so my friend was nice enough to switch with me, she loves heavy garlic. I had her shrimp dish which was very nice. It was a good dinner but to pay those prices and not have it come out well was disappointing. They do make some amazing drinks, some are very different combinations but very good. We opted out for dessert because we were so stuffed. I hope to return again for another evening, maybe more apps and drinks next time. Very nice ambiance for a celebration though.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 28 January 2018

Very good food Italian. Limited parking. Sometimes hard to find on street parking. Middletown is very busy with a wide Main St.

Date of visit: February 2017