“Small, hippy like place”
Review of Viva Zapata

Viva Zapata
Ranked #151 of 588 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 17 June 2015

This place was recommended to me by a Yale grad, and it met its expectations. A very small bar area, I really only came for their well known margaritas, although I heard their nachos are outstanding as well. A very cozy place to hang out!

Reviewed 10 September 2014

This place has character and it's casual and comfortable. I'm rating Viva's as a hangout/hot spot as much as a restaurant. I was a weekly regular during my 4 years as a New Haven resident and it never disappointed. They make their own margarita mix and it's awesome, which gives them major props over the chain Mexican joints. The jukebox is usually pumping with an eclectic mix and the servers and bartenders are genuinely friendly and extremely laid back.

New Haven dining can be overpriced and that usually goes along with a pretentious atmosphere and service. Viva's, like others have said, is a New Haven institution. The food is good, it's simple gringo Mexican comfort food and the quality is consistent. What makes this place special is a sense of tradition, a welcoming atmosphere and the vibrant and diverse crowd it attracts.

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

We we're looking for texmex but in a slow food kind of arrangement. Viva Zapata has a very cozy atmosphere, with good american folk music and the best service in all New Haven, for all we know. We had tacos, enchiladas and nachos, all great seasoned and tasty. The portions were large and fulfilling. I would definetely recommend it!!

Reviewed 28 February 2013

seems like more of a kid hang out food is good but not great enjoyed our evening enhanced with tequila

Reviewed 25 October 2012

And I mean that in a good way! I personally like this place a lot. I have been here at least a dozen times. Great Mexican dishes, good beer and drinks, very affordable, with the look and feel that is quite unusual but very comfortable.