“Awesome nachos”

Viva Zapata
Ranked #151 of 587 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 27 March 2016 via mobile

This is still my favorite nachos in the world- after coming for 30 years! Each nacho chip laid out flat and covered with refried bean and cheese- straight from the oven on the same baking sheet! Nachos are to die for- stop there any chance i can. Simple, casual environment. Delicious sangria

Reviewed 1 March 2016

The initial reason I went here was that there is a video game at the end of the bar. After a long hard day, I like to go to a bar, sit in a corner, sip chardonnay and play my video game. On all those points this place is a great place to go.

But the food is to die for, especially the nachos. And the nachos are worth mentioning, because they have a great concept. Nachos are served on a flat square platter with the chips spread out, rather than the chips being piled up and all the accompaniments on top. Since the chips are spread out, all the delicious beans, salsa, cheese, etc. are spread out equally on all the chips. It is a great dish, and really enjoyable.

Another thing worth mentioning is the bartender Carrie. You can tell she really enjoys her job, and has a lot of fun with the customers, many of whom are locals. I had ordered a chardonnay, and after a sip or 2 had to send it back. It was very obviously bad. Carrie did it without batting an eyelash, dumped out the bottle it was poured from and replaced it quickly. As I was finishing the new glass, another one appeared in front of me on the house. She said it was to say sorry for the bad glass. It was totally unnecessary. But she insisted. It is obvious that Viva Zapata really appreciates their customer. I will go back there again and again!

Reviewed 4 September 2015

Nice quite place to unwind after a long days work. The drinks are better than expected and the dry rubbed wings are a Favorite, Yum Yum

Reviewed 2 September 2015

If you're new to New Haven, its tough to decide on anyplace to go, since you don't know them, and there are soooo many. I went to Viva Zapata because the original place I had chosen had not opened yet. And walking by, they had a video game at the end of the bar! I'm sold!

Its both a restaurant and a bar. I sat in the bar section and was waited on by the bartender, Kaitlynn, who has obviously been there for a long time, because everyone seemed to know her. It wasn't busy so we had a little get to know you chat. Nice. I ordered my Chardonnay and went to playing my 11Ball video game.

She asked if I wanted a menu. Sure, why not.I got an a la carte taco for $6.95. I had a choice of meats, and it came with 2 stuffed tacos, rice and beans. That is enough of a meal for me, but they also have salads, Entree plates such as Tacos, Burritos, Combo, Taquitos, etc. Prices ranging from $9.95. Then there is the Build Your Own Nachos. You're given a blank pallet of basic nachos, and you can build your own with choices of about 20 different toppings. Starting at $6.95.

If your friends aren't into Mexican as much as you, they also have a For the Gringo menu which would satisfy most anyone.

So if you're headed to Downtown New Haven, and wonder which restaurant to visit in the vast sea of restaurants and bistros, check out Viva Zapata. I think you'll really enjoy it!

Reviewed 11 August 2015

Viva's is not some be-all, end-all Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurant, but the fajitas are to die for. The atmosphere (barrel tops for tables, dim lighting) is fun, and apparently the sangria is good--but I never had any, so I really can't vouch for it. There's some good, complex Mexican food in New Haven now, but those fajitas are something else...FYI, they're huge.