“And We're Off!”

Sports Haven Bar & Grille
Ranked #248 of 618 Restaurants in New Haven
Cuisines: Bar, Pub
Reviewed 1 July 2018

What's better than an afternoon with the ponies. Extensive choice of beer, apps, salads, and sandwiches.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 25 May 2015 via mobile

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE coming here to bet the horses hang out with friends and get a great meal and drink. My favorite night of the week to visit is Thursday ladies drink night specials trivia and buy one get one free sandwiches. The place is always kept clean and the staff is very involved.

Reviewed 30 September 2014

I went here with some friends to watch football on Sunday. They have tons of TV's and plenty of parking. We really had a nice time there. It was my first time there.

Date of visit: August 2014
Reviewed 28 September 2014

Sports Haven is a sports bar and race betting parlor set inside what appears to be a basketball arena. It's cavernous and a confusing blend of bar / restaurant with dozens of very large screens and TVs. I guess if you're into watching any imaginable sport it's fine (unless you want some food). But it also inexplicably a comedy venue -- and a terrible one. My companion and I attended a comedy show featuring Gilbert Gottfried. Before the show, we had some truly awful food, and even ended up sending back a hamburger of all things. If a sports bar can't get a hamburger right, then you know it's in trouble. Aside from the food, it's the worst comedy venue imaginable. An attempt was to create a club atmosphere by arranging several dozen folding chairs in rows before a small raised stage. No tables -- just folding chairs. The acoustics and sound system were very poor and worst of all, the overhead lights were left on. The glare was so bad, that at one point, I put on my sunglasses! I asked the manager if the lights could be dimmed, but that never happened. Poor Gilbert Gottfried! What an awful place to have to try to make a living.

Date of visit: September 2014