See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 October 2014

On the Captain Josiah Coles Place in Southington, CT

My visits to Connecticut are especially enjoyable ever since I found the Captain Josiah Coles Place, a beautifully maintained 270+ year old B&B home in Plantsville, a part of Southington, CT. Dave and Mary Potter, the gracious proprietors, are welcoming and interesting conversationalists. I made two round trips from California in less than a month. I am inclined to travel to Connecticut for no other reason than to enjoy this marvelous old house and their company!

Bob Furber

Date of stay: August 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My first time staying at a B&B . I stayed in the Captains room, which was very warm and cozy. The softest sheets ever!! Mary and Dave were very kind and welcoming. Great first time experience. The home is beautiful inside and out. I would highly recommend to anyone. Looking forward to the next visit. Wouldn't stay anywhere else!

Date of stay: June 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My daughter and I were touched by the kindness and sincerity of Mary and David. It felt like we were visiting friends of friends. The beds were incredibly comfortable, and we felt very much at home, which was especially nice as we were on the last day of a week-long college tour. They recommended the perfect restaurant for fresh seafood - the last for us before heading home to the heartland. They were eager to please, and knowing that I was gluten-sensitive, made gluten-free pancakes topped with David's own maple syrup (David taps his maple trees and boils the sap down to syrup himself).

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is the second time we’ve stayed at this lovely B&B, and it was just as warm and inviting an experience as the first time. Dave and Mary are very gracious, welcoming hosts. They are very sincere and accommodating. They made our stay one of the most pleasant aspects of our visit. We’ve stayed in both main bedrooms now, and they are equally charming and comfortable and include all the amenities you could need. The beds are extremely comfortable, and the pillows were the best we’ve encountered in a great deal of traveling. All made for a great night’s sleep. Breakfast each day was wonderful and substantial. Both Dave and Mary are good cooks. We will likely visit this area of CT again because we have relatives in the area. And when we do, we will definitely stay at this wonderful place. We would highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

Date of stay: October 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Gracious hosts at a delightfully relaxing B&B. I highly recommend it if u are looking for quaint New England hospitality. Very clean, quiet, and super comfy beds. Absolutely the best pancakes I've ever had with enjoyable morning conversation. Not too many great spots to stay in this area of Connecticut unless you are fine with Motel 6-like places, so I would put this unique place on your list of must-stays!

Date of stay: September 2013