“Meet the Potters ”

Ranked #1 of 1 Plantsville B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

I do not usually take the time to write reviews - good or bad - but I felt the need to do so for Mary's and Dave's hidden gem in Plantsville -Southington. For years I had driven by but was unaware of how nice this place is. I stayed there with my two tween/teen daughters for two nights while my wife hosted a weekend birthday celebration at our house nearby with her girlfriends. I had a great weekend away without having to go far. Let me start with agreeing with the other reviewers that Mary and Dave are excellent hosts and cooks. The rooms are immaculately kept with the most comfortable beds you will find. The breakfast is filling and expertly prepared - loved in particular the fresh maple syrup and Dave's overview of how he extracts it from the trees in his yard and prepares it for use. We had use of the large living room area equipped with flarscreen and cable. The wi-fi also kept us plugged in during our visit. Anything we needed, we had it, from fresh coffee to bottled water and cookware and utensils for our takeout. Most of all I enjoyed the conversation with Mary and Dave and as good hosts do, they know just how much personal space the guest needs. I am glad to have met Mary and Dave and will recommend the "Captain" to family and friends who visit us but want their own space for a night or two.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 November 2015

My Wife and I stayed with David & Mary for 2 nights while touring the area. Check-in was very easy. David showed us the home, our room, bathroom and how everything worked. There was a refrigerator stocked with beverages and a Keurig Coffee Maker for on-demand coffee. The room was very large with a large private dressing room and bathroom. The shower was nice and warm. The bed was large and very soft. The room also had a flatscreen TV with AT&T Uverse. 1 morning pancakes and sausage were served with their own home made syrup. Absolutely amazing. The 2nd morning Eggs and bacon were served along with fresh fruit. David and Mary are very nice hosts and it's quite apparent they have been running the B&B for years. Our stay at Captain Josiah Cowles Places was very relaxing and gave us the B&B experience we love. Thank you David & Mary... The Brandt's had a wonderful stay with you.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Av8ir2000
Reviewed 26 October 2015

What a lovely place! An old historic house yet so well kept. Clean, warm, cozy, it just invites you in to relax and enjoy the beautiful views of fall foliage all around. The room was big, spacious and very clean. The bed and sheets were definitely not what you usually find - so soft and comfortable, we had the best sleep!! Big screen TV with hundreds of cable channels. The bathroom was very clean and pretty. We were touched by Mary and David's warmth, kindness and hospitality. Breakfast was wonderful, with fresh fruit, juices, delicious farm eggs, light fluffy pancakes and homemade syrup! We even brought home a jar, so yummy! The location was exactly what we wanted - a small charming CT town yet very conveniently located. Drugstores, markets and great dining options are within walking distance. We chose to drive to dinner because it was cold at night, only a 5 min drive. All in all it really was a perfect fall weekend in CT, it felt like we were staying with old friends. Wonderful, I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: beautiful views
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2015

Excellent Bed & Breakfast! My husband and I enjoyed a lovely overnight stay. Very comfortable, impeccably clean and cozy room. Our hosts were delightful, the pancake breakfast was delicious! Very cool to stay in a 1730 farmhouse! Highly recommended, we would stay there again, no question.

Stayed: October 2015
1  Thank Christine K
Reviewed 22 August 2015

We come to Connecticut twice a year for family visits. We always stay with Mary & Dave. The b&b is charming, the breakfasts outstanding and our hosts delightful. Dave even makes the maple syrup you have for breakfast from trees on the property.

The restaurants nearby have really stepped up their game too which makes the stay even better.

Very convenient just off I-84 but your never know it. About 35 minutes from the airport.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris V
Also consider these accommodations in or near Plantsville
3.7 km away
2.3 km away
Econo Lodge Plantsville
Econo Lodge Plantsville
#1 of 1 in Plantsville

Been to Captain Josiah Cowles Place? Share your experiences!