“Happy hour”
Review of A'Vert Brasserie

A'Vert Brasserie
Reserve with OpenTable
A'Vert Brasserie is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 191 Restaurants in West Hartford
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

I’m a big fan of the Doro group restaurants. I wasn’t crazy about the Happy Hour food items at A’vert. Luckily the changed them and the selection is far better. The roast beef sandwich is delish. The chips with the onion dip are good, the dip I found ordinary. Excellent white wine blend on the happy hour menu.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

My husband and I spent a couple of hours here this afternoon. Unbeknownst to us there is a Saturday afternoon happy hour beginning at 3p. Lucky us! We enjoyed delicious food and refreshing cocktails for a steal. We ordered the mussels (about 10 of them for for $3) served in an amazing saffron, mustard, wine sauce and loaves of crusty bread. We also enjoyed the shrimp appetizer (4 large shrimp for $5) and the Royale w/Cheese with onion Jam (full size burger for $5). I had the Westside and my husband enjoyed a glass of cab. Service was friendly and responsive, without being intrusive. Plan to had back soon!

Reviewed 20 May 2018

Charming bistro, we were seated at a high table at the window. We had the croque monsieur, nice but a little too heavy, it came with a small salad with a tasty dressing , we also had the mussels , a large portion , a nice sauce and French bread. Service was good.

Reviewed 9 May 2018

I am always cautious when my experience is out of line with what most other reviewers are saying. Still, my recent lunch as A Vert Brasserie was wanting. My review takes into consideration its somewhat lofty, although not extreme, prices and its projected self-image of fine dining. The restaurant is nicely appointed, and although it is located in the usually very busy West Hartford center, there is adequate nearby parking. The menu is varied and interesting. The service was generally good, but did falter at one point, as I will relate. My companion has the onion soup ($8) and escargots ($12). She said they were quite good. We later shared a dessert (Duo Chocolate Mousse Dome with a Wildberry Glacée, $8), which as also very good. It was my order that didn't meet expectations. I was intrigued by salad, "Frisée aux Lardons with Fried Egg, Smoked Bacon, Sherry Vinaigrette, $10). A fried egg on a salad? So I tried it. There were two problems. The bacon was scant to near non-existent. After excavating to the bottom of the bowel, I did find a few tiny bit hidden there, but the salad was almost all greens and then only one kind. The egg added nothing. I had imagined the broken yolk bathing the salad, but the egg was somewhat overcooked, leaving the yolk with little viscosity. By the time it got to the table it was cold and rubbery. Other then the current trend in restaurants to put an egg on darn near everything, I have no idea how it was supposed to blend in with/enhance the salad. The dressing was good, at least. For my main plate I ordered the Orecchiette with duck confit, morels, asparagus, and a thyme cream sauce. When it arrived, I could see no cream sauce and mentioned it to the waiter. He said it was only lightly dressed and departed. Whether the orecchiette was lightly dressed or naked, the point is that there was no sense of the moisture the sauce should have added or any of the fresh thyme flavor that I expected. Pasta should not be drowned in sauce, but it ought to be noticeable. Later, when checking out the waiter ritually asked if all had been well, and I again mentioned the problem with my main dish. He then conceded he should have brought me a bit more sauce. While he failed to do so when he delivered the dish I have no idea. So in the end, neither parts of my lunch met the "good restaurant" standard. With an ice tea and a coffee, but no drinks and not counting tax, lunch was $60. Not a crazy price for lunch, but a "you ought to get it right" price for sure. If I could, I would give A Vert a 3.5 stars for a near miss, but I can't see 4 stars (good), so I settled on three.

Reviewed 6 May 2018

Stopped by for happy hour one night after work with the intention of making it the evening meal. It was our first visit. Had a nice little table near the bar. Tried a number of great things. The homemade potato chips were very good, not a big fan of the onion dip. The mussels were delicious! And so was the crusty bread and good butter. The beef burger was seriously delicious, juicy, cooked to perfection. Charcuterie plate was ok. My husband wasn’t a fan of the croque madame, too much cheese for him. Wine was very good. Prices were right. Would go back!